Acoustic/Electric Bass?????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by po3t, Aug 7, 2002.

1. po3t

Jul 24, 2002
    Marion, NC
    Has anyone played an Acoustic/Electric bass, and I don't mean an upright. I was looking at Musicians Friend Webstie and they have Acoustic/Electric basses. How do these things sound? Anybody use them for "Unplugged" sessions?
  2. OneLuvIbanez

OneLuvIbanez Guest

Jul 28, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Depends on what you want them for.

If you want that "UnPlugged" sound, they are actually kind of nice, A little bit of a hassel to play, due to the wide body, but ok non the less.

Personally, I like the Ibanez AE Series Basses, I like the sound and tone they hold.

I wouldnt use them for anything more than an "UnPlugged" sound though.
  3. po3t

Jul 24, 2002
    Marion, NC
    So for an UnPlugged session they're a winner, but for anything else you'd go with a regular electric bass?
  4. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Most purely 'acoustic bass guitars' don't have loud enough voice to be real usable, I think. The best thing would be lugging some small practice amp around to be heard, so I would be buying one of them Acoustic/Electrics instead. I think Yamaha has one, something like BEX-model or something. Also seen one Ibanez, too. They are similar to those semiacoustic blues guitars like Gibson Lucille.
  5. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Resonator Bass! They're made by a company called Regal. The main complaints I hear about ABG's is that they're not loud enough, the body is too big, and many don't sound that great. The resonator bass has managed to solve all of these problems; in my mind, at least. There is a large metal cone in the body--this acts just like your speaker to amplify and project the sound. The result is a much louder sound that I find superior to all but the very expensive normal ABG's. Because most of the sound comes from this cone, the body is able to be much smaller. It's about the size of a typical acoustic guitar. It is very affordable as well. The Acoustic/Electric version also sounds very nice plugged in. It uses a magnetic lipstick pickup.
    I got mine from

And to those of you who have doubts of an A/E in an electric rock band: Listen to The Violent Femmes. They pull it off extremely well. The bassist has a very nice tone; not to mention he's one hell of a player.
  6. Different sounds from normal acoustic. My dad has an old Washburn acoustic/electric it plays nicely but the body is a little big. I prefer to play it standing up. I think the acoustic sound isn't as strong as a normal acoustic. His doesn't take those bronze strings. The sound isn't as bright. Look into one though, they're cool.
  7. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I've been wondering about the resonator basses since I first saw them. A couple of questions:

1. What do they sound like? Resonator guitars (Dobros) have a metallic twang that sounds great, but I don't know if it would sound good with bass. Do they have that metalllic twang sound? Or do they sound like a normal ABG?

2. Is there anything that could be used as a thumb rest without damping the vibration of the cone? My ABG doen't have anything that can be used as a thumb rest, and it drives me nuts. I usually use a pick because of this.
  8. mrbaloo

May 9, 2002
    I agree... I would recommend to play the ABG with a pick (I use a Fender Extra Heavy pick) to even have a fair chance to compete with a guitar player and a singer (alltogether unplugged). Otherwise you have to play with a really hard finger style.

Before you buy an ABG, take some time to try out different basses. I have tested models from e.g. Tacoma, Martin, Morgan, Squier, Washburn and Dean. All of them sounded different and were more or less easy to play. I ended up with the ABG with "the best sound/money ratio" (according to me).

9. Here's the one I got the other day:
    The fingerboard extension serves as a thumbrest--pretty clever!
  10. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Don't worry, folks - with Funky's record, he'll only have it for two or three weeks, tops, before he sells it. ;)

Another vote for a pick with an ABG - I use a felt pick when I play with my pet guitarist. At home for dinking, I usually play fingerstyle.
  11. 1. They do not sound like normal ABG's. The sound is deeper and has more growl. It doesn't sound much like a resonator guitar. It can sound metallic and twangy if you use a pick (depending on how you use it) or if you put nail into your fingerstyle. In other words, you can get twang out of it if you want, but normally it doesn't sound twangy. I hope that makes sense and answers the question.

2. There's a big metal plate over the cone that protects it (and looks real pretty at the same time). There isn't anything on the instrument that you can touch that will dampen the sound (except the strings, of course). However, there really isn't much of a thumbrest on it, at least where I play. If you play way up by the neck you could rest it on the pickup or fret board. Otherwise there's not really anywhere else. It doesn't bother me, but if you need a thumb rest, it could be a problem.

I hope your answers are questioned. Jeez... did I really just type that? You know what I mean.

12. He is, too! I saw the "Femmes" in concert two days ago, and they rocked da house! :D
  13. I recomend one of these. Obviously it's not that loud unplugged, but it's built like an acoustic, and through an amp it sounds amazing. Way better than any purely acoustic bass I've heard.
  14. I bought a Dean Performer Plus recently and it serves it's purpose well. I knew when I bought it that it wouldn't hold its volume to the guitarists and drums, so having a small portable amp is a good thing. My band plays rock and we like to throw our electrics down and play some acoustic songs sometimes. I have to use an amp but I can tell you that an ABG has a tone of it's own compared to a regular electric. So if your band is wanting to do an acoustic song and you want to fit in, go for one. By the way I thinkg the Dean Performer Plus is sailing for $299.99 at Musician's Friend. Thanks to the .99 cents you get free shippin too! :D
  15. it would help if you mentioned a company name if not a model # or link to where you can buy one;)

i want to get one soon but the only ones that I can find in any stores are a couple in a pawn shop (if they are still there) and I would prefer new, but actually now that I remembered that place I think I will go there next weekend. Thatnks for reminding me :confused: or making me remember or somethink like that
  16. Sorry about that. It was a Renaissance.