Acoustic/electric bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by schmeeds40, Jan 4, 2003.

1. schmeeds40

Jan 4, 2003
    I have been playing the bass for about a year and have been casually playing with some friends. I have recently been looking into acoustic/electrics because we tend to play outdoors a lot at small gatherings and whatnot. Everything I have looked at has not put out much noise... unless I want to pay over $1000. Any suggestions for a brand or type of acoustic/electric that might put out a good amount of noise for not so high of a price??? I would be all for purchasing a used instrument on ebay or something like that also.. please give me suggestions... thankyou.
  2. velcrohd

velcrohd Guest

May 26, 2002
    Paducah, KY
    Look for the Olympia acoustic bass by Tacoma. It's the made in china model of Tacoma's Thundercheif. The only things different are that it is machine made and has a flat finish. It has a Fishman pu and elixer strings. I got mine new for $400 with a hardshell case. It plays and sounds as good as the thundercheif. I've had mine for about a year and I love it. The only thing I changed was the strings. I switched to phosphor bronze for a little more volume and brightness. It's a wonderful bass if you can find one. Tacoma's really put out the volume.
  3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I agree - Olympias are worth looking at. Another to check out is the Dean line of ABGs.

A word of warning about all of these imported ABGs - they tend to vary in quality from bass to bass, so play before you buy! About half the Olympias I've seen have been noticeably better than the others, and one or two were almost as good as my Tacoma. The Deans seem a little more consistent.