Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acoustic/Electric Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dthorpe, Oct 10, 2005.

1. dthorpe

dthorpe

Jul 3, 2001
    Moorhead, MN
    I need some advice. I'm considering buying an acoustic/electric bass guitar. I know there are several opinions out there about what to even call this beast. I already have an upright bass so don't need one of those.

I saw Norm Stockton playing a Carvin AC50 on one of his videos. However, I don't think that one will have any sound without plugging it in.

I saw the DVD side of the Los Lonely Boys CD and I believe their bass player was using a Tacoma. However, he had his plugged in as well.

Are there any acoustic/electrics that would sound good if played totally acoustically? Any suggestions on brands/models I should check out?

I am looking for something under $1,000 but any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

2. ezstep

ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    Personally, I have never found one that sounds "decent" when playing unplugged. I'm sure some will argue, but I ended up with a $300 (inc. shipping) one that serves the purpose intended. I cannot play it beside a steel-string acoustic guitar and be heard. However, it serves its purpose well and I enjoy playing it on our "semi-acoustic" gigs.

They are great when you hear a song on the radio and just grab it to play along.

Maybe a guitarron???

Good luck.

3. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

A guitarron will be about the loudest option acoustically. Generally speaking, volume of an ABG is largely dependent on body size, which usually means either a low volume (most ABGs) or a large body size.

The Tacoma puts out about the most volume of any widely available ABG out there. They sell for just under $1K. I love mine -- the tone is wonderful, and it's a blast to play. As ezstep mentions, it's great for jamming along to music at home -- I call mine "the ultimate couch potato accessory." I play it constantly while watching TV. :D

But it still may not have enough volume for what you want. If it's jamming with a single friend on acoustic g*itar, then it will serve you well. If it's with more people or even in a Coffee-house-type situation, it will get lost unless it's plugged in. You will probably need to factor in using a small amp if you want to play with more than one person or on any type of stage.

Your upright will put out LOTS more volume than an ABG, generally speaking. That's physics for ya. :(

4. Bass Heaven

Bass Heaven

Jul 27, 2005
    I have a Waterstone ME-2 semi hollowbody. It has a large body and tone forever. They are in the $500.00 range and you are buying some nice quality. I also have one of there full acoustic basses that's called a Rainwood that I use for un-plugged gigs. It sells for around 350.00 and is also very nice.

You can find them here:
    http://www.waterstoneguitars.com