1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Acoustic electric guitar - help!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by colin_028, Apr 22, 2009.

1. colin_028

colin_028

Jan 1, 2009
    i know this is meant for basses, and i am primarily a bass player, but i play alot of acoustic guitar and am looking to buy a new acoustic electric. i dont want to spend more than 1000 bucks so that i still have money to put towards my next bass:D just wonderiing if anyone can recomend or warn me about certain brands.

2. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
  3. kingbee

kingbee

Apr 18, 2006
  4. Studiodawg

Studiodawg

Oct 25, 2007
    I believe you should play some guitars and when you find one that feels good and sounds good to ya...that's the one to get. Don't get wrapped up in brands/models- you have a budget, now go out there and get yourself a guitar!

5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I have a Seagull guitar with a K+K pickup. I recommend both.

6. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    OK, here's what I think, based on playing acoustic guitars since 1974, managing a guitar store, and playing acousitc/electric on stage with a loud band...

A. Play the GUITAR, not the catalog! Acoustics vary a LOT between individual instruments. There's as likely to be as much difference between two Martin D-1's as between a D-1 and the similar Guild GAD. Just get your hands on as many as you can, and play them. Play stuff that's out of your price range to see what $1500 gets you- it might be worth it to you, it might not. But you gotta try them.

B. If you're playing it amplified for real, then don't worry too much about the pure acoustic sound. Why!? Because all those lovely resonances and rich tones that make a great sounding acoustic conspire against it being useful on stage. All that lively sound is frequencies that'll be prone to feedback on stage. Unless you're into the Stephen Stills, Jackson Browne, Jorma Kaoukonnen level of guitars and stage equipment, then just make sure the electric sound is great.

I say "amplifiied for real" meaning you're playing on stage and you want it to sound like an acoustic guitar. If you just want to play acoustic loud around the house, I can't help ya, 'cause I don't understand the appeal at all. And if you think that what most acoustics sound like on TV shows (especially modern "country" artists with that putrid Taylor/Fishman rubberband sound) is an acoutic guitar sound, then ignore my advice.

jte