Acoustic/electric opinions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mstrange, Dec 14, 2005.

1. mstrange

mstrange Guest

Sep 23, 2005
    I'm looking at getting a new acoustic for fun and unplugged gigs. I really like the Breedlove 5 string.

What other options are out there?
  2. draginon

Oct 4, 2004
  3. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Well, I can't recommend a good unplugged 5er, but the Victor Bailey sig acoustic is the best unplugged acoustic/electric bass I've ever played. As loud as a Tacoma with a better tone (more EB-esque), great playability, and not fat!
  4. mstrange

mstrange Guest

Sep 23, 2005
    I played the Victor Bailey and really dug it but I have my heart set on a 5 string. It was the best 4 string I've played and that includes the Taylor.
  5. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    The Michael Kelly ones look ridiculously nice, but I've never played one...heck, I've never played an acuostic bass before cept for the DB...
  6. I play a Washburn AB 20 Fretless 4
    Active Electronics, XLR Out, Bridge Pick-UP
    Rosewood Fretboard, strung with Rotosound Flats

The Axe is a beast, it growls nicely and plays like a dream.

Unplugged it can be heard, so I dont wake the kids while I practise at nite, but don't expect to be heard without plugging in for a gig.

The new Washburns are AB-10 and AB-40/45 I think, check em out at:
    :bassist: ON
  7. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I have a Tacoma Thunderchief 5-string.

I LOVE its tone, even down to the B, which sounds really nice. It's definitely worth checking out, though once I'd played one, none of the other ABGs I tried did it for me, so I ended up having to save and wait for the Tacoma.

It's probably the loudest acoustic 5-string (unplugged) available, though it will still get overwhelmed by aggressive or multiple acoustic guitarists in an unplugged situation. I can't play it aggressively when my daughter is sleeping in the next room, as it is loud enough to wake her up. Feedback is an issue when plugged in, though the plugged in tone is nice -- not great, but very nice.