Acoustic/Electric or Electric?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by oneeyedbass, Aug 16, 2005.

1. I'm getting ready to get back into playing solid. I've been playing with a somewhat bluegrass band (with borrowed equipment) and could also have the chance to play with a rock band. What would be a good choice for me -equipment wise, if I end up playing both?
  2. I am looking at an Ibanez AEB305E from musicians friend. It's an a/e with onboard tuner. Basically I'm just looking for something that is pretty versatile. I might just have to buy both-even though I would like to stay away from that if possible.
  3. bassontherun

Jul 9, 2005
    Same issue, here. Play too many different kinds of music to rely on one bass. In my case, I've gone to a 5-string electric to cover the heavier stuff, a 4-string electric for most everything, and a cheap acoustic/electric (an older 5-string Rogue) for country/bluegrass/campfire stuff (I went cheap so I wouldn't worry about it getting dinged up during camping trips).

The Ibanez AEB looks like a nice fit for much of the stuff you might play. +1 on Bard's suggestion for a stick upright. Very versitile. Check out Barenaked Ladies.

Would definitely suggest finding a cheap electric bass if you intend to spend any amount of time with a rock band. Even a base-priced Rogue or Washburn, should do the trick. Like it or not, a lot of these bands want to portray the standardized "rock band" image. Some may question an upright stick or acoustic. Most folks won't care what brand or quality of electric bass you're playing, as long as it "looks" right. Pretty fair chance you could find something very workable for under $100 at a pawn shop (or under $150 new from MF or other vendors).
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The bass does not matter. You should be able to do any gig on any bass you already have, no matter what kind of music you're playing. However, I'd be hard pressed to play bluegrass on anything but an acoustic upright because it's so perfect for bluegrass.
  5. A while back I played with a couple other guys. One was on a mandolin-the other on an acoustic. I was playing a Dean acoustic guitar...not a bass. I wrote a couple of bass lines for them and they asked me if I ever thought of playing again. I was always ready to play again-just needed a little nudge.