Acoustic electric string question

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ZerOGoD, Jan 29, 2006.

1. ZerOGoD

Jan 27, 2006
    I recently picked up an acoustic electric 4 stringer and am trying to experiment with some different string types. I am having problems located different varieties of a/e strings. roundwound brass is all I can seem to find. Can I use just normal acoustic strings if I dont mind not plugging in? and this one seems silly but can I use just normal electric strings to play it acousticly? Anyone got some good brands to try out? Im primarily playing blues and jazz stuff, but I sometimes like to get a little rough and play some metal too. Thanks a lot guys.
  2. Eric S

Eric S

Jul 19, 2005
    Paris, France
    Yes, you can use any type of standard electric bass string. All those phosphore bronze so-called "acoustic bass" strings are crap in my opinion. They are intended I believe to be as loud and bright as possible for folk-like unplugged situations.

flats, half rounds, pressurewounds, and rounds can all be good depending on your taste but I would suggest using their nickel alloy (warmer) varients and soft light gauges for blues and jazz. Also, give them time to break in and mellow out (or just smear some butter on there like I do).
  3. MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
  4. bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    I have a set of Sadowsky Flats on my Martin ABG. They feel and sound great but they have a much higher tension than typical roundwounds. I have my bass tuned a whole step low to compensate. The best thing to do is to try as many sets as it takes until you find what works best for you. Good luck.