Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acoustic/electric thin body basses...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassman blue, Nov 26, 2002.

1. Looking for a good quality acoustic/electric thin body bass guitar. Does anyone have any experience with say the Godin, Carvin, Yamaha, or Martin models?

2. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    I've never played one, but I love the look of the Carvin acoustic-electric (in quilted maple...) but at about $1000 I figured I don't need it that bad.:)

3. I love my Carvin AC40 fretless more every time I pick it up. I got exactly what I wanted, which admittedly is pretty simple (walnut top, unlined fingerboard, black hardware), for about $800, I think. There was a half-price sale on options at that time, which may or may not still be on.

As has been pointed out on this board before, Carvin doesn't have much snob value. There's nothing wrong with snob value, mind you. I'd love to have a high-dollar, high-prestige bass, but it wasn't a priority for me. The Carvin has a beautiful woody growl and is extremely comfortable to play, for me. It records well too, which is mostly what I use it for.

It is not really an acoustic bass, though. It has virtually no volume unplugged, only slightly more than a solid-body electric. I played a Godin, but just briefly. I like the Carvin much better, but that's subjective. Haven't played the others on your list. There are other companies making basses along the same lines, too. The second choice for me, after the Carvin, was the Rob Allen. It didn't have the features I wanted (neck-through, 2-octave fingerboard), but in other respects, I like it as well as the Carvin.