Acoustic Electric

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by countrybass5, Aug 21, 2017.

1. Which acoustic electric bass is the best...any price range?

2. best for what?

3. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    That one over in the corner over there that nobody can afford... ...yup, that one's the best. :wacky:

4. If money isnt an issue this one. The top of the line 6 string Warwick alien
    IMG_3317.JPG
    But lately I've been pretty happy playing my Warwick thumb NT6. I think it's look Is tame enough that it's not too out of place jamming with acoustic guitars. And
    If your playing with even one acoustic guitar you gonna want to be amplified anyways. In my band the guys are getting away from using traditional full size acoustic guitars live and really only using them in the studio. For shows they are using these more and more. IMG_3318.PNG They are cheap and sound great plugged in. And they have electric guitar style necks and thin bodies so they are more comforable to play standing up.(we're not fans of anyone but the drummer sitting on stage.

I haven't gotten to try one of the basses yet but they also make a basses in that series as well.
    IMG_3319.PNG

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
    DevinWard369 likes this.
  5. Ibanez SRH500
    Carvin/Kiesal AC40
    Godin A4
    All of these can be had in fretless and 5 string versions. They retail for around $1100 depending on options. The Ibanez is around $700-$800. They are all thinlined bodies to help prevent feedback as compared to the thicker bodied ones, which are not loud enough to use in a true acoustic setting anyway, except for maybe practice by yourself.

6. Edmang

Edmang Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2013
    MA
    pjbassist likes this.
  7. Ghastly

Ghastly

Oct 18, 2015
    Mill Valley
    I've gotten really attached to my US made Guild. Comfortable and has a great sound. Only complaint is the preamp/EQ... has a hum. New, I think it's around $1100-1200.... I got it used for $700.

My 1998 Guild bass.jpg

8. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
  9. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Rick Turner Renaissance FTW. I have played many of the usual suspects over the many decades I have been playing. None of the ones that have a box that looks like an acoustic guitar do the job. You have to plug in, anyway, if you want to be heard over a mouse fart, so get one that is purpose built for the job.

10. pjbassist

pjbassist

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Wayne, IN
    The 2 best I have ever played were the Martin B1 (mentioned above) and the Tacoma Thunderchief. The Martin BCPA4 (mentioned above) also looks pretty good. Good luck!

11. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Best for easy playability if you are used to thinner electric necks = Fender Kingman
    Best for low end acoustic projection and long term durability = Emerald Balor

12. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician
    I liked this one when I tried it out a while ago.

14.jpg

It's a Ribbecke Halfling. About $8k I think. And if you want the other Half, expect to pay more.

bholder likes this.
  13. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    I have a Boulder Creek fretless 5. It's pretty darn nice I think.
    Boulder Creek Guitars | Guitar Accessories | Acoustic Guitars
    I play it with coated rounds and can get into the EUB range of tonality. Only complaint, which isn't really even a complaint is that it will feedback if you don't significantly lower the vol on the onboard pre. Jut the nature of the beast with AEBs.

14. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    So, you're saying that if you lower the volume control at the bass and turn up the amp to make up for the loss of volume there will not be any feedback?

15. Wfrance3

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    It's what works for me on this AEB, which is the only one I've ever owned. I've heard tell that you can plug the sound holes on an AEB and it will fix feedback, but never personally done it. I pay solid body about 90% of time.

I just crack the vol to start, and then end up somewhere around 25% vol. or so and it works, and without significant tone loss either.

16. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    How much do you pay it? :laugh:

17. Wfrance3

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    Oh, I feel like I remember giving about $750 or $800 at most for it at the time. I sold a hammered dulcimer and a lap dulcimer that I never played anymore to fund it. I've had it a few years now. Complete gamble for me because there were none to be found locally, so it was impossible to try/buy from a nearby shop. Their approach to internal bracing and good vibes I got from stuff I read hear led me to pull the trigger on it. Also the fact that I financed almost all of it with money I raised from selling gear.

18. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    A good friend of mine has a Boulder Creek ABG; I have not seen or played his yet as he lives a few states away and he has not brought it with him when he visits. He prefers to play one of my Rick basses when he is in town.

19. Wfrance3

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    I like my solid body basses more, but there's time/place for the AEB that makes it the right tool for the job. I think my bass being fretless thing just adds to that.
    If you can find a Tacoma Thunderchief, that's supposed to be the holy grail, but i've never seen one personally. I hear that they are loud unampllifiedand have a good tone.

Fat Fingers likes this.
  20. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    +1 on the Tacoma Thunderchief. Big body gets in the way, and odd sound hole makes it tough to find something to tame the feedback (ALL AEBs that can project will feedback), but plays and sounds great.

pjbassist and Fat Fingers like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021