1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Acoustic Engineering Question; Bolt vs Neck-Thru

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by steinbergerxp2, Sep 2, 2001.

1. steinbergerxp2

steinbergerxp2 Guest

Jul 11, 2001
    I am buying a 5 string (because I'm too lazy to reach down the neck anymore). I don't expect to spend a lot of time below 40hz but it could happen occasionally.

I understand that neck-thru's have more fundamental harmonic content than bolt-on bass designs (I'm used to graphite bolt-on 4 strings). I would imagine with 5 strings this would be even more pronounced than 4 strings, but that's an assumption.

Is a bolt-on 5 string bass less demanding of amp/speaker low-end response than a neck-thru? Is it just a matter of personal taste (like an 8x10 SVT vs Acme B2)? Will anyone ever really notice what happens below 60hz in a live situation?

I'm used to homemade 15" cabs (albeit simple and sloppy ones); previosuly I would tune to 40hz. Will they survive as before if they are tuned to 30hz?

I've never tried to amplify 30hz and I'm at a loss as to what my needs would be.

2. Sorry, can't help with your question..just wanted to say i love my steinberger Spirit..i got it a couple of mths ago..It's not an original, just a 'certified copy' and its not graphite..
    But i was so lucky to find it, the love of my life!! ;)
    Hope someone useful replies to your Q!!
    Voikukka

3. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Thats really the only question I can answer, and I would have to say yes. If you have an amp and cab that can handle, people will DEFINITELY notice what happens below 60hz, no matter where it is:D

4. Theoretical ideas of which system has more sustain, more fundamental, etc, seem in practice to be down to the individual bass. Example: my Toby 6 neckthrough has a much better B string response than an Ibanez Soundgear 6, but not as good as my Yamaha BBN5II, which is bolt-on. A Stingray 5 has one of the best B's, as does a Pedulla Rapture. These are both bolt-ons, 34" scale. Just to confuse the issue, the highend neckthroughs, like Pedulla Thunderbass, Smith, MTD, also have very good B's.
    In live performance (we are assuming you are talking about a loud rock/punk band here), the very low notes tend to be felt rather than heard. Low frequencies get masked very easily by Marshall stacks and 7 string guitars. Using a pick rather than fingerstyle can help with definition.

5. steinbergerxp2

steinbergerxp2 Guest

Jul 11, 2001
    I do play music as you described and usually use a pick for defnition as well. I have always been successful in cutting thru the mix, even with a dark tone, but wasn't sure if a 5 low-B would require a different approach.