Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acoustic Engineering Question; Bolt vs Neck-Thru

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by steinbergerxp2, Sep 2, 2001.

1. steinbergerxp2

steinbergerxp2 Guest

Jul 11, 2001
    I am buying a 5 string (because I'm too lazy to reach down the neck anymore). I don't expect to spend a lot of time below 40hz but it could happen occasionally.

I understand that neck-thru's have more fundamental harmonic content than bolt-on bass designs (I'm used to graphite bolt-on 4 strings). I would imagine with 5 strings this would be even more pronounced than 4 strings, but that's an assumption.

Is a bolt-on 5 string bass less demanding of amp/speaker low-end response than a neck-thru? Is it just a matter of personal taste (like an 8x10 SVT vs Acme B2)? Will anyone ever really notice what happens below 60hz in a live situation?

I'm used to homemade 15" cabs (albeit simple and sloppy ones); previosuly I would tune to 40hz. Will they survive as before if they are tuned to 30hz?

I've never tried to amplify 30hz and I'm at a loss as to what my needs would be.

2. Sorry, can't help with your question..just wanted to say i love my steinberger Spirit..i got it a couple of mths ago..It's not an original, just a 'certified copy' and its not graphite..
    But i was so lucky to find it, the love of my life!! ;)
    Hope someone useful replies to your Q!!
    Voikukka

3. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Thats really the only question I can answer, and I would have to say yes. If you have an amp and cab that can handle, people will DEFINITELY notice what happens below 60hz, no matter where it is:D

4. Theoretical ideas of which system has more sustain, more fundamental, etc, seem in practice to be down to the individual bass. Example: my Toby 6 neckthrough has a much better B string response than an Ibanez Soundgear 6, but not as good as my Yamaha BBN5II, which is bolt-on. A Stingray 5 has one of the best B's, as does a Pedulla Rapture. These are both bolt-ons, 34" scale. Just to confuse the issue, the highend neckthroughs, like Pedulla Thunderbass, Smith, MTD, also have very good B's.
    In live performance (we are assuming you are talking about a loud rock/punk band here), the very low notes tend to be felt rather than heard. Low frequencies get masked very easily by Marshall stacks and 7 string guitars. Using a pick rather than fingerstyle can help with definition.

5. steinbergerxp2

steinbergerxp2 Guest

Jul 11, 2001
    I do play music as you described and usually use a pick for defnition as well. I have always been successful in cutting thru the mix, even with a dark tone, but wasn't sure if a 5 low-B would require a different approach.