Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acoustic ERB (especially a 6'er)?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Petary791, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    So i'm getting into the acoustic playing a lot more because of my new band. I'm dying to get an acoustic bass, which I can do since i'm working at a bass shop and all, but I really want to have that high C and low B. I've never seen an acoustic 6 string. Anyone know where I can get one that doesn't cost like, more than $1000? Even if it is more than $1000, post it anyways so I can see it. :)

2. An acoustic 6'er is a rare find in the first place, even moreso with that kind of price attached. I don't think you'll find one.

Building an acoustic with that range is not an easy task for any luthier.

3. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    That's what I figured.

4. TheMightyQuinn

TheMightyQuinn

Dec 26, 2005
    Minnesota
    I believe Alphonso Iturra had an acoustic 6 string in the works some time ago...

5. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    You mean like this? You're right, these are rare. The guy who made this for me doesn't do them any more, and it was way more than $1000, unfortunately. There are a couple of people who will do these, but not at that price point.

[​IMG]

6. A beautiful bass, but I'm not sure it fully qualifies as 'acoustic'. Arent those more of a semi-hollow/chambered design? Regardless, I want one(Veilette). I also dream(& sketch little pictures)of 6+ string fully acoustic basses. Big wide neck, big thick body, construction methods stolen/borrowed from guitar, violin, cello...
    From an established(or even just good)luthier though, I imagine something like this would cost an arm & two legs. And we won't likely see Rondo putting one out anytime soon. :D

7. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
  8. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
  9. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Ah, dang. My dream of having one has just been shattered. :ninja:

10. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
  11. I thought that he meant like an upright 6. My friend is looking for one of these. I saw one on here a few weeks ago, don't remember where.....

anyone seen ERB uprights?

12. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.

Jesse Blue of Ergo instruments can/will make a 6+ electric upright ERb(and he can make duel corse models as well).

http://www.ergoinstruments.com/

13. Pruitt

Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    Yeah, I've been eying those for a couple of months now. They look pretty nice and get good reviews over on the EUB forums here at TB. The price is pretty nice too!!! :)

14. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.

I own one of his earlier versions and it still blows my mind with how nice it sounds and his prices can't be beat.

15. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Hey Jauqo - I tried to email John McComb and his email address is dead. He still doing his thing? I would LOVE one of those sixes.

16. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Was just gonna say overwater, +1 on that.

17. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    when i was in g****r club, i was a bass player playing a 6-string "contrabass" strung EADGBE (one octave down from g****r). competition regulations at that time was "no amplification", so it sprung from there.

does a contrabass count as a ERB? i remember the volume was dismally low. oh, and it had nylon-wound-nylon treble strings. how cool is that?

all the non-conventional guitars in my club (including the contrabass) were "niibori" guitars. go search a bit. i remember the prices not being astronomical.

18. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    bump! Need McComb info =0) GASin' bad!