Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acoustic Flatwounds????

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Funkster, Jan 8, 2003.

1. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Hi guy's I just got asked a question that I had no answer for, now I'll pass it onto you.
    A friend just bought a acoustic fretless bass and it came with round wounds on it. Does anybody make a acoustic flatwound string?? Would electric flats work on it?
    Thanks for any info ahead of time.

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Hey, Henry! How 'ya been?

I use LaBella black nylon tapes on mine, and will try some TI flats before too long. I've heard of many people using everday flats on their ABG...

3. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Thanks Ken I passed on the info to my friend, I thought you could use electric flats on a A/B.
    I'm doing well still recovering from the holidays, looking forward to the new year.
    How was your Yule, did ya get anything good!
    All in all everything is good. Thanks for asking my friend, Talk to ya soon.

4. Rotosound Jazz flats 35-95 on my Hohner TWP600B.

5. jankjo

jankjo

May 22, 2002
    Heavy Duty,
    did you ever try the T-I Jazz flats? I am wondering how they compare to the Labella tape wounds in sound and feel...plugged in and unplugged. I am a big fan of T-I s on my Warwick, but they didn't sound too good on my Rick Turner. I am getting a Tacoma, and I am wondering what strings to put on it. I have heard that the LaBellas have extraordinarily high tension and that the T-I Jazz flats have really low tension. I have the T-I acousticores on the Turner, and I find that I miss the flats. I don't like the way the string sounds when you slide your finger down it (that squeeky kind of sound). But the Jazz flats didn't sound good on it.

Any words of wisdom? By the way, I play in a blue grass band, so I am not looking for a bright punchy sound, but a thumpy one. The reason I bought the Tacoma was so that I could Jam unplugged at festivals.

6. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I've currently got a set of LaBella Tapewounds on the lower 5 strings on my ABG, with a TI Jazz flat for the high C. Frugality is the cause of the mix and match set. Juststrings wanted $64.00 plus shipping for a six string set of tapes, and Carvin only wanted $25 for the 5 string set...

I really like the thump of the LaBellas--and, the Jazz Flat mixes surprisingly well with them. But, I think I want just a bit more tension on there than the tapes have.

I ordered a six string set of Roto Monel Flats that I'm hoping will be in the mail when I get home today. I really liked the tone the Roto flats got when I had them on my old Curbow passive fretless, so I'm hoping it translates well to the acoustic. We'll see--it's only money.

7. jankjo

jankjo

May 22, 2002
    I'd like to try them out. I looked at Carvin's website, and the only LaBellas I could find were DeepTalkinBass....that isn't the same thing is it?

I wonder if they stopped carrying them or if I just can't find them.

8. jankjo

jankjo

May 22, 2002
    ooopps
    nevermind. I see that they are the black tape wound strings. I got confused because LaBella's website has lots of DeepTalkinBass strings. ooops