Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acoustic fret buzz!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Masterbasser71, Jun 19, 2005.

1. Hey guys,
    Back in February I payed the handsome cost of $90 to get my acoustic bass fully and professionally set up. Now, the problem is I get extended fret buzz on the G string. There's no saddles so I'm pretty much screwed and don't know what to do. What's the remedy for this? I tend to get a lot of buzz on the 2nd,5th,6th and 7th frets. This thing sounds beautiful plugged or unplugged and this problem is effing up my sound! HELP! :help: :help: :help: :help:
    Thanks,
    P.S: I have thicker gauges than what the stock bass has. But oddly its only 45-100 gauges.

2. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Welcome to the problem of weather changes.

This is what scares me about possibly purchasing an acoustic - truss rod may change some things, but I'm not sure about how to mess with an acoustic's bridge.

3. Interesting...the climate doesn't change all that dramatically in San Francisco. Not like in the Midwest where the winters are cold as hell and the summers are hot. Or even LA down south, where its hot all the time. In San Francisco it usually stays in between the temperatures of 50s to 70s year round minus September where it ranges from 80s to 90s. So I don't see why it would change because of weather. So it may be the truss rod then? I'll look into it. Oh and if a shop fixed up your bass for nearly $100, wouldn't you think they would fix the problem considering the fact that you payed that much for them to make the most of the instrument you have? Thanks