Acoustic Fret wire on electric

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by lilvampboyx, Oct 24, 2005.

1. lilvampboyx

Sep 1, 2005
  2. I don't know what the dimensions are for that fretwire, but I do notice that it has the tang removed near the ends for bound fretboards. Does your J-bass have a bound fretboard?
  3. lilvampboyx

Sep 1, 2005
    The fret wire dimensions are 1 3/4", for the smallest and 2 1/4" for the longest. and i belive that i have a standard jazz neck...also im only planning to replace the frets past the 12th fret. What does "bound" on a fingerboard mean?
  4. Bound means that it has binding (the white around the edges of the neck) on it, like this:

5. lilvampboyx

Sep 1, 2005
    um no but it looks alot like that bass
  6. I would try to get fretwire that didn't have the ends of the fret tangs removed, but it's up to you.
  7. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    I would try a setup before I tried to refret anything. ;)
  8. lilvampboyx

Sep 1, 2005
    why would you suggest that?
  9. Let me get this straight: you're going to attempt to replace frets, but you don't even know what binding is (see that white stripe around the fretboard?!? that's binding), let alone WHY you'd want frets with full tang?

I make no assumptions to your abilities, but from what you're asking, it doesn't look like much, sorry.

Binding is purely decorative, and ofttimes, the fret tang is undercut as to not interrupt the solid binding look. You have to pre-bend the fret ends (after undercutting and before install) perfectly or you'll screw up (crush) the binding, OR end up cutting your hand open everytime you play on the fret ends...I suppose you know how to properly dress the fret ends? If you don't have binding, you want the full tang to keep the fret ends seated...that combined with proper pre-bend keeps the fret locked. AND, if the tang on this acoustic wire isn't wide enough, the frets won't seat without a ton of glue...not to mention if you don't properly redress the fret slots, you'll open up a world of problems before the new install. Be aware of this.

Save yourself some trouble and don't do it. Please.

edit: the 2-1/4" length fretwire is still too narrow for a typical Jazz neck. By a 1/4" actually. You'd have 1/8" gaps on each end. So no, you can't use it. All that aside, you can use narrow fretwire on anything, and many players prefer it, but it wears quicker.