acoustic - fretless bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by crispygoat, May 18, 2007.

1. crispygoat

crispygoat Guest

Aug 22, 2006
    London, Ontario
    Are they worth it ?

I want an acoustic bass for the summer, and I somewhat want a fretless too.. so I thought how about an acoustic fretless..

if so which one would you recommend ?
    Even if not, which acoustic bass would you recommend ?

Price range would be 500$ or bellow..
    Still have my Valenti coming soon and girlfriend's birthday :meh:

thanks

2. acleex38

acleex38

Jul 28, 2006
    I know some folks like the Michael Kelly's - I'm not a fan personally. I love my Breedlove Atlas fretless, but it's out of your price-range. The Tacoma Thunderchiefs are even further outside of your range.

If you can find an Breedlove Atlas used or cheaper than I'm seeing them, awesome - I have made good use of it for the last year and a half.

3. crispygoat

crispygoat Guest

Aug 22, 2006
    London, Ontario
    Yeah eh... a bit out of my price range....

Any other recommendations ?

or any audio clips of a fretless acoustic bass?

4. :bassist: :bassist: Make your girlfriend get a second job so that you could by a Rob Allen bass. Those are sweet acoutic electrics.:hyper: :hyper:

5. I'm not a Carvin fan, but their AC40 basses do sound very good. On eBay, you may be able to get one for close to that price, but probably a little higher.

6. crispygoat

crispygoat Guest

Aug 22, 2006
    London, Ontario
    really ugly bass.. although their custom electric ones are :eek:

I don't like this.. my situation is really limited..

First off I don't know how much the shipping will cost for my other bass (the valenti)

second off, the company for where I work for was sold.. we have been told we are going to get laid off.. I don't know how it'll go :meh:

I think I will go for a fretted one...

I found this,

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...efly-5String-AcousticElectric-Bass?sku=512271

I am not sure if I want to try 5 strings.. I tried a few 5 strings the B seemed too loose for me..

I tried a few ibanez.. I liked... but would that Michael Kelly bass be better then

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...ric-Bass-Guitar-with-Onboard-Tuner?sku=519995

7. I don't know of one in that range but perhaps if you found a used one. The Takamine B-10 is the best sounding acoustic bass guitar I've heard and it has a really nice fret-less board arched similar to a double bass. It is not very loud but has nice tone and a good feel.

8. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
  9. Fo' Shizzle

Fo' Shizzle

Aug 28, 2003
    I own a Michael Kelly Dragonfly 5 that I love. Unplugged it's a practice axe, nothing more.

But plugged in it's great. The Fishman system is powerful and flexible. I bump up the bass and deeply cut the mids and highs.

I also bought a Feedbackbuster (the rubber piece that fits in the soundhole). It stopped the howling nicely. I can play the MK at CRAZY high volumes without feedback.

It looks great, too.

10. I have 2 and they roxers meh boxers! :hyper:

11. Michael Kelly fretless
    you decide
    frankly I played one at sam ash with the crazy inlaid fretboard
    and was surprised that it sounded pretty good albeit not very projected or loud without an amp in a gig situation

12. Keef

Keef

Jul 3, 2003
    Hollywood, CA
    Ugly..?

[​IMG]

If so, that's the kind of ugly I can deal with. Arguably the best looking Carvin bass, in my opinion. Different strokes for different folks, eh? :cool:

The AC-40's sound and play really nice, IMO. I'd love to get one someday, fretless, of course.

13. I recently bought a MK club fretless 4 and I like it ,it's no Tacoma but,a great bass...especially for the money(aprox. half the price w\a case). I brought it to a gig the other night and was suprised at how well it held up against a drummer and an electric guit.(not my intended use of this instrument)the tone was obviously acoustic sounding,ALMOST upright-like vibe,very air-y and lots of mwah.(can't wait to try it in a acoustic setting)I like the cedar top,to me it sounds warmer than the maple topped ABG's I've tried.maybe not as loud unplugged but,we all know you have to plug'em in anyway.I could nit-pic the flaws but,at $450. the MK is a pretty good value

14. I would check ebay and see what you can find there. There may be something by Sigma also to your liking. You can also find some real bargains too. I would recommend a Tacoma Thunderchief if you can find one. I have seen them sell for around $500 quite often. Deals are still out there, you just have to be ready when they present themselves. Here is my Martin B-65 Fretless, and NO it's not for sale. :)
    DSC_0109.gif
    DSC_0111.gif
    DSC_0109.gif

15. Koa rocks!!!
    DSC00017.jpg

16. bobstefntes

bobstefntes

Sep 20, 2006
    I've been wanting an AC40F for a while now. I don't think they're ugly, probably a little higher than your specified price range though.

17. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science!

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    I don't honestly know what they sell for (I got mine free as part of endorsement), but I love my Epiphone El Capitan fretless.

It kills plugged in.

The unamplified tone is really good except for the fact that the E string volume drops a little as the strings age (I have used different brands of flats on it, all with the same result).

***disclaimer*** I did recieve the bass for free but I am no longer an active Epi endorser - that said I still stand behind my El Capitan with the caveat mentioned above.

18. IMO Fretless Acoustics sound better anyway.

19. I won't argue with ya there, same goes for electric basses. :hyper:

Fretted piezos can get pretty noisy and can require some pretty clean technique. I can do it, but it takes a lot more focus.

20. For the price IMHO the MK 5 is hard to beat. Loud enough unplugged for head to head with a six string fragile ego and plugged in should stand proud with most crews. And she do look the dogs. BTW Shizzle what is and where do I get a feedback buster?

Ric Club 35

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 3, 2021