1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

acoustic fretless recommendations?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fell, Nov 29, 2006.

1. fell

fell

Jul 31, 2005
    somerset
    i have serious GAS for a tanglewood sundance acoustic fretless

i tried it out in a shop and it was pretty impressive, the shop assistant helping me even started playing on it once i left the shop!

i havent been able to find any reviews of it though, so i was wondering if anybody has any thoughts on it? or should i be looking at any alternatives?

2. I am about to buy one myself in Sweden. I tried it for 15 minutes in the Shop (unplugged) and the tone was very good. It kind of followed my fingers and was very easy to intonate. Though the electronics was not working and I am waiting for it to be repaired.

When it is ready I will try it in the shop one more time, probably I will buy it.

I am also interested in other peoples opinions.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I've got a Brownsville I defretted that's okay. But I'd probably be most likely to pick up a Michael Kelly fretless 5 and string with a High C.

4. richnota

richnota Gold Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Santa Cruz
    im driving a Tacoma Thunderchief fretless 4 with a custom pickup system (the ellipse condensor/piezo)

I've strung it with nylon wrapped Rotos for maximum "string bass sound"

5. fell

fell

Jul 31, 2005
    somerset
    so has anyone had any experience with the sundance?
    i know that theres only so much you can tell instore..

6. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    The Michael Kelly basses are nice and seem robust. I have read that the side dots on their fretless basses are located where they would be on a fretted bass. Fretless basses have these dots located where the actual fret is. There's a difference. I have side dots on my fretless bass and it's a reference I use. The Michael Kelly would throw me off.

Aside from that, I think those basses are robustand look beautiful.

7. fell

fell

Jul 31, 2005
    somerset
    ive just put a deposit on the sundance in a local music shop.

ill submit a review once ive got a chance to put it through its paces.

8. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    A little Liquid Paper would fix that right up.

9. Bone

Bone

Oct 28, 2006
    get an upright.

10. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I could see the Sundance guitars faring quite well. My brother, who plays guitar, was quite impressed with the Sundance guitar range. It's not hard to see where they get the name from :cool: .

That said, he thought they were pretty cool guitars, and so, if the basses measure up, I'd suppose you're doing quite!

11. DRZ400Bassman

DRZ400Bassman

Nov 6, 2005
    until you play the tacoma you will be satisfied with what ever you have, after you play the tacoma, you will wish you bought the only true functional acoustic bass, save time money and hassles and just get the tacoma

12. fryBASS

fryBASS

Aug 8, 2006
    New Haven, CT
  13. fish slapper

fish slapper

Nov 17, 2005
    Newberg, OR
    :bag:

14. Bone

Bone

Oct 28, 2006
    this is just my opinion, after owning 6 ABGs i really find them good for nothing more than a grab and practice bass. there are some very well made acoustic basses but for acoustic gigs with more than 1 guitar theABGs just seem to get lost in the mix if not amplified. For me once it's amplified whats the point. my fretless electrics sound so much better plugged in.
    i played a lot of bluegrass music but always used my old upright miked, thats the acoustic tone i'm looking for.
    but hey, don't take my word for it. get out there and play as many as you can, and take an acoustic guitar player with you and have him play along with you. that will give you a littler better idea of the projection of the bass.
    my favorite fretless ABG is the Breedlove Atlas. with a mahogony body and ceder top, good projection and great tone but get those bronze strings off and get some chrome flats on. the flats help reduce a bit of the "clank". if tacoma makes a fretless check those out too. i love the trone of the martins but i don't think they make a fretless. people give the michael kellys rave reviews but i've owned 2 of those firefly, dragonfly, and i would say steer clear of the maple bodies. never trieid the mahogony or rosewood bodys so i couln't say.
    just ply a bunch, there has to be 1 you like, but for me, i'll just play an upright.