Acoustic Guitar amp.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Hounddog409, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Hounddog409

Hounddog409

Oct 27, 2015
    ohio
    Can anyone get me started on a good quality small amp for my wife's Taylor guitar?

Just need a small home practice type amp and I have no idea or experience with acoustic guitars.

Is the Fender Acoustasonic 15 or Peavey E20 decent amps? Not looking for anything fancy - just a solid quality home practice amp.

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Check out Fishman products. Excellent quality and sounding.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  3. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    I wonder if you aren't barking up the wrong tree. Acoustic guitars are loud enough on their own for home practice.

If you want louder, perhaps buy her an electric such as a Fender Stratocaster or Telecaster. Can I interst you in a Martin D-28 acoustic? Unfortunately, both are way over what you are proposing to spend.

An amp should serve her requirements. Battery power supply so it can be taken anywhere? Mic input? MP3 input to mix music with playing? Headphone output? High impedance input for a piezo pickup? If it is to play with a small group in the future, how much power is necessary? Do you want built in effects? Etc. As you can see, a lot of complicating factors.

A useful tool for any musician is a digital recorder. She can improve her playing by critically listening to her performance. Zoom recorders start at just over a hundred dollars.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
    deathness and azfatboy like this.
  4. azfatboy

azfatboy

May 11, 2016
    I have the Acoustasonic 15 and it's a great little amp, but I don't own an acoustic guitar. I actually bought it for the XLR input--I use it as a "vocal" practice amp... :)

5. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    This. Also, new strings will sound better.

6. Hounddog409

Hounddog409

Oct 27, 2015
    ohio
    Asked on options on amps...nothing more. I thought "nothing fancy" was pretty clear. electric guitar? really?

7. Hounddog409

Hounddog409

Oct 27, 2015
    ohio
    strings? seriously? why cant folks just stick on topic?

8. Hounddog409

Hounddog409

Oct 27, 2015
    ohio
    fishman....hmm. not familiar with these. Will check them out. thanks.

9. Hounddog409

Hounddog409

Oct 27, 2015
    ohio
    how long have you had this?

10. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Fishman are great. I know a guy who travels around doing shows & he packs a Fishman & a chorus pedal.
    It sounds pretty great.
    I got an acoustic/electric, but I never plug it in. As mentioned, it's loud enough for home practice, or even out in the outdoors, like the park.

11. azfatboy

azfatboy

May 11, 2016
    I started singing and playing bass less than 6 months ago, so... less than that???

Also, Marshall makes an acoustic amp series that looks awesome. And I have one of those little 5W Vox amps that can run on batteries, and it actually sounds great to me.

Also, in defense of the other posts, your OP stated that you didn't know much about the acoustic guitar, so their advice seemed quite reasonable to me...

12. 10cc

10cc Inactive

Oct 28, 2013
    She can play through your Rumble if you still have it. As for the snippy stay on topic comments. That's a good way to find no input. If she wants an amp so she can jam along with you than you should've just said that. If she doesn't want an amp to jam along with you, then you can tell her she doesn't need an amp for an acoustic instrument. Also get her some new strings.:cool:

revroy and werdna1999 like this.
  13. revroy

revroy Supporting Member

The Carvin acoustic amps are quite nice and I think sound better than their Fishman counterparts... AG Acoustic Amplifier Series

A decent bass amp is usually a good choice for acoustic guitar as well as it gives you lots of clean headroom.

Personally, I don't see any use for a "practice" acoustic amp. I don't see what it adds to the picture. If its just practice, then let the acoustic do what it does and play acoustically. If you need more for performance, then get an amp that has enough omph for that. I performed as an acoustic player for decades and had a number of different acoustic amps. Never once did I plug in to practice at home. Not once in decades of playing.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021