Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acoustic Guitar Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, Oct 18, 2004.

1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Now I feel this is a valid point as so many people use acoustic pre/di's there must be something about the frequencies that overlap so I was wondering could a small acoustic guitar amp be a good choice for a small practice combo, that could then take either a mic and a bass or guitar and a mic or even guitar and bass.

The one I'm looking at is a Kustom Kaa-something or other it's only 16watts I was wondering if the speaker would take volumes for playing bass with flutes and classical guitars and such or is it a really bad idea.

Thanks guys

2. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    16 watt's is plenty of power to compete with a flute and a classical guitar.

3. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    my main concern is the thing blowing up or falling apart if I use a 5 or 6 string with it.

4. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    You're right it probably woudn't handle a low B too well. I wouldn't think it would fall apart though but you should get more peoples oppinions too.

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    unless its these guys... :smug:

[​IMG]

6. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado

7. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Those are some god awful clothes in that picture. Thankfully 16w will be enough because if people dressed like that come near me *shudder* ooo it's not even worth thinking about

Now on to the California Blonde unfortunatly this isn't an option really, it's to big and heavy this needs to be an amp that you could comfortable walk 1 - 2 miles with while carrying a bass as well.

So it needs to be small, single handle on the top, maybe open backed so as to sound bigger and also save on weight.

I currently have a very small practice amp that I picked up for about $40 and that handles low b ok well u know for a 15w guitar amp.

The speaker in the Kustom is Celestion which I consider to be a decent brand so I would think if you can wail on it on an acoustic you should be able to get usable levels with a bass. Or am I completely wrong.

Thanks guys

8. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    wrong wrong wrong :p.

My first amp was a 15W w/ 8" speaker, it did fine for the bedroom, and if I played against an acoustic unplugged. It could hardly take a low C though, and when I'd hit the low B it'd just fart out. I would think that as long as you have a decent speaker behind the power though it should do fine.

Ray

9. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Most acoustic guitar amps ESPECIALLY the low powered ones (which seem pretty pointless to me) are not designed to handle the lowest notes of the bass. At some point you will get distortion and risk blowing the speaker.