acoustic guitar and good technique

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by fil, Dec 29, 2005.

1. fil

Dec 18, 2005
    hello guys,

i'm trying to play the bass, well actually i'm dying trying. :bawl:

so no learning without books, so i bougt a bunch of books,
    about fretboard, scales and so on. but also about technique. i have these superflexible joints, so i didn't wanna get in trouble with playing the bass guitar. anyway long story short, i sold the electric guitar because the electronics were cheap and it made this hum all the time, it drove me mad.

so i bought an acoustic one, really cheap, it sounds very good, but it is a jumbo. so huge. now i learned the opposable thumb technique: you know it all: it's where the hand is like the beak of a goose and you shoot your index from the string to the thumb where it comes to rest. (i have the book : essential bass technique by peter murray)

so far so good, on an electric guitar it went quite well. but on this jumbo it is really impossible, i'm happy if i can reach the strings. a friend off mine what's to buy the jumbo, so i'm in for a new one again. damn finding a good guitar isn't easy. But here the question: is there another playing technique on acoustic basses, since they tend to be big.

thanx guys
  2. I'm not quite sure what you are asking.
  3. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Using a pick and playing chords? :p

I'm goign to stay away from fingerstyle on guitar for a while, still can barely get my bearings down reguarly (although bass has taught me rythm...sort of.)