1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Acoustic Guitar Pin Puller

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by droo46, Aug 14, 2012.

1. droo46

droo46

Jun 16, 2011
    At the music store where I work I frequently change strings on acoustic guitars. I've been using the cheap Jim Dunlop winder/pin puller but they keep wearing out. The winder portion is fine but they won't pull pins very well. Does anyone have recommendations for a pin puller or a method that will do the trick for someone who does this once or twice a week?

2. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Northeast OH
    I just changed my strings last night and noticed that my puller that is also integral with my string winder is not doing the job as easily either. Your post prompted me to search and here is what I found:

http://www.elderly.com/accessories/items/CBPR.htm

3. Oneirogenic

Oneirogenic

Nov 10, 2009
    Needle nose pliers and a rag so you don't leave marks on the pins. I found out those string winders don't work for ABG pins so had to find a different method. If you work on guitars I would hope you have pliers on hand.

4. I use wire cutters and some masking tape on both the cutters and the bridge. Just gently work the pin out. Works like a charm.

5. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Cali Intergalactic Mind Space - always on the edge
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    And not too much pressure.

You can still crush pins pretty easily. :atoz:

IMVLE (in my very limited experience) pins need to worked out and not directly pulled out.

As a matter of fact, I'm looking for one small top pin. :eek: Please PM me if you can help me out.

6. I grab a coin and reach into the soundhole and push the pin out. Those pullers always seem to dent the bridge at some point. No likey.

7. Oneirogenic

Oneirogenic

Nov 10, 2009
    Ever tried to reach in the sound hole of a Tacoma or other brands that have off set soundholes? I do agree with your technique since most guitars have that big center sound hole.

8. Itzayana

Itzayana

Aug 15, 2012
    Oakland Ca
    Most people push the pins in way to hard and then they get stuck in the whole.
    The trick is to position the string so that the ball end is not at the end of the pin but to the side of it.
    Bridge pins should be easily pulled out with your fingers. If you can't pull them out by hand you are pushing them in too hard.
    I hope that this makes sense.

9. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Oh brother, that sure does make a whole lot of sense!

I would NEVER use ANYTHING to pull out a pin! Mr. Thumb and Mr. Forefinger have always done the job for me. You don't have to jam those things in there; they are designed to work PERFECTLY just as you described above.

Pin Puller?

PIN PULLER?

You use one of those, or a needlenose on my Martin, and you might just upset me.

Quite a bit, actually.

10. droo46

droo46

Jun 16, 2011
    Well, thanks for all the advice and suggestions fellas. TB never lets me down. :bassist:

11. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I always just use the dykes I use for cutting the strings.

12. Oneirogenic

Oneirogenic

Nov 10, 2009
    Unfortunately many guitars/basses come with those pins jammed in there or changes in humidity cause the wood to swell around the pins making them much harder to pull out with just your fingers. Pin pullers are lame but my method of using pliers and a soft and thick cloth to cover the pins works perfectly well to not damage my Tacoma and would not likely damage your precious Martin. Of course you could probably reach underneath to push your pins out if they ever got stuck.