Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acoustic guitar question - string gauges

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by lowfrequency, Apr 22, 2003.

1. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    You'll have to do some tweeking on the truss rod, sure, and might need to trim the saddle and/or nut to keep low action. Those are some HEAVY strings for a Seagull, which already are notorious for high action. Just be VERY cautious, keeping a close eye on the neck, bridge, and top where it meets the fingerboard, and you should be able to catch any problems before they happen.

2. Thanks for your response! Your advice was confirmed today in an email from Carlos at Godin/Seagull Sales and Marketing. The Seagulls come factory equipped with light gauge strings (0.013-0.053), and the resophonic semi-flats I installed (.016-0.056) feel considerably thicker.

Does the high string tension rating on the resophonics have anything to do with the tuning? The packaging lists the strings as GBDGBD, and I have them tuned standard EADGBE. Does this mean that I'm not putting as much stress on the body as I initially imagined?

Thanks again!