Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acoustic Guitar Recommendations For Around $200?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Dec 12, 2005.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    My sister wants to get her husband an acoustic guitar for Christmas and asked if I could help pick one out. My first thought was Seagull, but they start at about $350 and her budget isn't very flexible....$250 would probably be the max.

Any first-hand suggestions?

2. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    The Seagull S-series is less than $300. I got an M-6 for $340ish..

also, Godin (Seagull's parent company) has another line (name escpaes me, but check their site) that's similar quality to Seagull, but just a few differences and are significantly lower in price.

3. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    I've had good luck with Yamaha and Takamine....

- georgestrings

4. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    I did the Yamaha last year for my son. Solid Spruce with a gig bag for $199 at the local music store. The free gig bag was a special sale, not normally inlcuded.

Try and find the least expensive Solid Spruce Top you can. I tend to avoid low priced Chinese, Vietnamese and Indonesian makes unless I can check it thoroughly first. That's why I ended up with Yamaha, made in Japan.

Another option is Rondo Music, whose reputation for customer service and easy returns takes the risk out of the equation.

Good luck...

5. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Get a Yamaha or Takamine package. Nice starter instruments and pretty good quality.

6. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    Caution on the Packages: They usually have a 'plywood' built spruce top as opposed to Solid Spruce. At least that's what I found in my reseacrch. YMMV.

7. 5bassman

5bassman Supporting Member

May 4, 2005
    Kennesaw,GA
    Some of the best sounding and playing acoustics being made right now are being made in China. Try a Blueridge or another that is out now( started by the Famed Greg Rich) is the Johnson Carolina. Well built and great volume. Yamahas aren't coming close to the build and sound that these two are coming out with. Check out this link-
    http://p214.ezboard.com/ftheunofficialblueridgeguitarforum18213frm7.showMessage?topicID=462.topic

8. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I've played some acoustics when I was at Rondo's store. Their stuff is OK. Look for solid tops and the "Agile" brand instead of SX.

9. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

10. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Art & Luthier, Norman, Simon & Patrick are Godin's other brands, with A&L being the least expensive. Good guitars.

11. Thor

^ What Elric said ^

12. Bryan, why not check out Musiciansfriend?

They probably have the biggest selection on the web, and their standard shipping (mostly free) takes about 5 working days, so if you/she ordered something in the next day or two, it would almost certainly arrive by Christmas.

Q: What if he doesn't like it?

A: The good old MF 45 day return policy. ;)

Mike

13. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Hey man, you're blowing my "incognito" status.

14. Thor

Just don't take out Stormbringer d00d.

15. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Ibanez new or used Acoustic?

16. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Okay guys, I think I've narrowed it down to these (unfortunately, there's no chance to play any of them around here).
    Ibanez AW12
    Art and Lutherie
    Yamaha

I'm leaning towards the Ibanez at the moment...any last bits of advice?

BTW, thanks for the help guys. Thor, Jennifer and Bella Grace are doing well....Bella just turned two and Jennifer's hinting that she wants another baby (hinting with the subtlety of a bull in a china shop ;))

17. I have one of those exact A&L's in the acoustic electric version, same colour, wild cherry. Great sounding and looking guitar, I wouldn't buy anything else in that price range and I've played my fair share before I bought that one.

Very sturdy construction, the Godin Quantum preamp has a bass, treble, and volume, sounds good live. It's loud. Stays in tune well, has great intonation. I've just recently decided to sell mine to get a taylor 314ce-L7. As far as a laminate guitar goes, this is my pick, period.

18. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Wasn't Esteban's program under 200? teh h00kup

19. Bryan, the Ibanez isn't in stock, and won't be until at least 12/27/05!

Only one finish, sunrise is in stock on the A&L !!!

The only one that's in stock with no hitches is the Yamaha.

This is one of MF's bad traits; they sometimes have items listed that aren't in stock at all. I've been thinking of getting a G&L Tribute L-2500 since early October, but the sunburst finsih hasn't been in stock since at least then, and everytime I check, they always change the due date to a couple of days ahead of the present date. :rollno:

Whenever you see something you like at MF, immediately go to the availability section to see if it's available.

I forgot to mention this, sorry. :(

Mike

20. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Art and Lutherie is made by Godin/Lasido, same maker as Godin, Seagull, and Norman.

IMO the Art and Lutherie is going to outclass and outperform the others by a very large margin. That's what I would recommend.