Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acoustic Guitar Strings.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by SpankBass, Jan 7, 2002.

1. I recently read a thread about AG's that made me go and break out the old Antarez. The strings are over a year and a half old :eek:!

I need to restring it, but I've never had to restring a guitar so I don't know what brands are the best bang for the buck.

And I also noticed that the action is way high on it, and I really should do something about that. Any suggestions?

Thanks muchly.

2. I dont know much about action, but for strings... my favorite is still Elixer Mediums. I tried a few other brands, and ended up back wiht Elixer, they last a really long time, dont really go dead, and imho have a nice bell like tone (but that probably has to do with the fact that i'm putting them on a Taylor 810). Try to go to gc when they have a string deal times. I normally buy in bulk then, because you can get 2 for the price of one (regularly $12-14)

3. I can get that kind of deal plus a 30% discount over at the music shop my buddy works at. Not much of a selection, but I do remeber seeing Elixers there.

I think I'll try em out unless someone in here says otherwise.

The action question is still up for the answerin'....

4. Ive always used DR's, and theyre great. I use them for electric, bass and acoustic. They arent expensive (but arent cheap) and they last quite a while. I got 5 sets for X-mas, and they should last me a good while.

Oh, and I havent broken a string yet! And I play real hard too.

5. Another thing you can try is getting a lighter gauge string, it should lower the action a little.

6. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I have used Elixer strings on my Gibson Jumbo for the last couple of years and they are great. Plus, if you don't play much, they are nice in that they last forever.

As for the action, they only way to lower action on an acoustic is to adjust the truss and then sand down the bottom of the saddle. It takes patience, but the action on my Gibson is better than many electrics. About 3/32" at the 12th.

Chas