1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Acoustic Guitar to Acoustic bass conversions, strings and pickup

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Fritzer1234, Nov 12, 2018.

1. Fritzer1234

Fritzer1234

Nov 12, 2018
    Hi
    I have seen a couple of these conversions in this forum. What I have not seen is the use of D'Addario EXP PBB190GS strings. Which are used with the Taylor, Guild and Ibanez extra short scale acoustics (all around 24 inches and extra light; 50.160 lbs tension). These strings require a piezo pickup.
    Anyone have luck with these?
    Anyone use regular bass strings with a piezo?
    Anyone have warping due to tension with regular strings?

Thanks
    for all input

2. Fritzer1234

Fritzer1234

Nov 12, 2018
    Also, which tended to work better, strings with a tail piece or strings through the top?

3. I don't have experience with those strings, I just used a regular set of bass strings. A tailpeice removes the concern over the top warping, but with the scale so short there is not a lot of tension (on mine with regular strings). You still have to be concerned with the breakover angle coming through the body, which you don't have to worry about when you use a tailpiece.

I have a piezo disc system on order for mine. I used a K&K version of the disc style on a previous semi-hollow body and it worked out fine, I suspect the same here. I've used the stick style under bridge piezo in the past and the disc style definitely give you a fuller/warmer sound with less clack.

4. Fritzer1234

Fritzer1234

Nov 12, 2018
    thanks
    I bought a 4 string bass bridge from ebay so the angle should be good. This should also allow me some with bridge placement adjustment for intonation

I probably will start with the tail piece and when I find the sweet spot for the bridge I might set it and try through body

Jisch likes this.