1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

acoustic guitar with contoured edges? ..dreadnoughts bruise my arm!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by quadrogong, Sep 29, 2008.

1. quadrogong

quadrogong

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    my manager has me playing vigorous acoustic sets between regular electic sets, I'm happy to be gigging alot,but also very used to the smooth edges of a jazz type bass body.
    the only acoustics I see are the funky flying V shaped deans
    Which is fine, but I'd like some options,higher quality stuff

Anything without that hard edge by my right forearm?
    I need to wear sweatbands on my lower arm
    And I still gets bruises
    I do get a tad aggressive,

I cannot take the bruises anymore!

2. quadrogong

quadrogong

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    Oh yeah
    Has to. Be acoustic-electric

3. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    [​IMG]

Is semi-acoustic perhaps acoustic enough? I tried a fretless version of this one once in a music shop. It was nice, but I didn't try it through an amp. I wouldn't hesitate to take one like this with me on an "unplugged" gig.

4. quadrogong

quadrogong

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    need a 6 string guitar,not a bass..a steel string..

5. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    Sorry, didn't notice that.

I guess you just have to get used to it. Find another position for your arm (or the guitar), it seems like you're not holding it the right way. It shouldn't be uncomfortable playing an acoustic guitar. Do you sit or stand when you play?

There are some guitars though with a round molded plastic back that might be more comfortable. At least Yamaha have put out some models. I just hate the sound of those. Too plastic (surprise, surprise).

My acoustic has a Jumbo body. I guess that would be even worse for you though.

I tried a a couple of Blueridge acoustics the other week in a music shop. The models I tested seemed to have had slightly smaller bodies that normally and sounded really nice. Here's their list of guitars (first of five pages):
    http://www.sagamusic.com/catalog/products.asp?CategoryID=2&FamilyID=2&BrandID=5

Check out those.

6. quadrogong

quadrogong

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    Wow, what was that last CARGO one?
    It Looks contoured!
    Armrest...clever
    Thnx!

7. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Hey Quadro... if you want to really bend your mind, Google on "ergonomic acoustic guitar". There are some pretty warped luthiers out there... in fact, even the guitars themselves are warped in some cases.

Example; Burrell guitar; yep, even the neck is twisted. :eek:

8. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
  9. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I have one of these on a dreadnaught that I've owned for fifteen years, but I quit playing it very much when I got my 12-string. Ikeep intending to get one for the 12-string as well, because the lack of forearm dampening makes a real difference in the tone. My Taylor sounds good even dampened, but I look forward to hearing it un-dampened.