Acoustic Image amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MikeBass, Mar 14, 2004.

1. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    All righty, give me some real world news on these.
    Can they handle being pushed if needed?? ala' funk or R&B gigs and maybe a little rock if needed??
    I love the sound I get when I do play through it, but I'm a little concerned about pulling the trigger and getting one and it not be able to really keep up if needed.

Just for reference,I use a pair of Aguilar 112 cabs and a SWR SM 900 now.

I'm just sick of moving my damn rack around!!! Want...smaller....lighter....
  2. They are very good amps.

They have little or no colouration and will show the sound of your bass really well. The eq on the amp is quite subtle and will not make a vast difference to the sound. It is really only good [IMHO] for 'EQing the room'.

The main thing to remember is that it is not a high powered amp delivering 120 watts @ 8 OHMs, 200 watts @ 4 OHMs and 300 watts @ 2 OHMs.

I have never pushed my amp at 2 OHMs but I have heard that early models used to cut out momentarily if pushed hard at 2 OHMs. I do not play in a very loud setting so you will have to decide if the power rating is enough for you.

With regard to tone, as I said it is very uncoloured and fantastic for fretless. However when I play blues or something requiring more grunt I play through a Sans Amp Bass Driver DI which gives me the extra I need.

Overall I you want a light weight amp it has to be a main contender. For me the tone and power are fine for me as I play 95% fretless or Piezo. You will have to decide if an uncoloured sound, or using effects, will be ok for you. The winning factor is the 5lb weight of the amp and its small size. I have not used your cabs [I use an Epifani Ultralight] so other people may be able to help you on that.

Hope this helps

3. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    I couldn't search last night, but I can now.
    Found pretty much what I needed to know!
  4. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    FWIW, apparently they are coming out with a higher-powered model (max about 600 W @ 2 ohms, I believe) in 3 to 4 months. They've been working on this for some time now but have had to iron out some bugs before bringing it to market. At least that's what I was told in an e-mail from AI last week.
  5. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    The key to getting headroom out of the Clarus is to get the impedance of the cabs down. When I need a lot of volume, I run mine at 2.7 Ohms by paralleling a 4 Ohm 2x10 and an 8 Ohm 1x10. The Clarus really gets humpin at that load. I think those GS112's are 8 Ohm cabs, so you the amp would be seeing 4 Ohms with both cabs. It sounds like you would be a little underpowered with a big loud band in a big room, but I have done a lot of gigs with mine in club and bar settings and it has always been enough. If you have a way to drive a 2.7 or 2 Ohm load, I think that you will be surprised. I'm one of those weirdos that brings the Clarus and a 4 Ohm Ampeg Portabass 210 to a rock gig and gets asked "what is that effect unit on your amp?"...

uhhhh... that IS my amp....

The other amp that I am using is a SWR SM500 which is only 20lbs and is for me the next step up in power from a Clarus. It needs to be racked, but you could pop it into a 2space or 3 space rack and have a very light and powerful setup.

And yes, a SansAmp BDDI is a natural match for the Clarus, giving it a lot of versatility.

And yes, I'm waiting on the high-power Clarus in a big way.

6. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i've used my clarus with my funk rock trio, and it held up just fine. was mostly battling against the attack of my drummer, but all in all, all good. but the EQ is pretty limiting, and prolly works best with an active bass, or with an outboard box.

dont mean to derail the thread, but another option would be an EA iAMP500 or 800. i just got the 800 and couldnt be happier!
  7. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    For me the beauty of the Clarus is it's portability and in this regard it is peerless. This is the only amp that will fit in the front pocket of my undercover gig bag. Try that with any other amp. It's not a powerful amp, but if you play the kind of gigs that I do where there's always house support the Clarus is more than enough, especially if you use a 15 and a 2x10.

I own a iAmp350 and only used it during the summer for an outdoor theater gig because I wanted to use a single 15 inch cab and needed more power because the cab was 8 ohms. I haven't used the iAmp350 since then, because compared to the Clarus, it's just too heavy and bulky.

As for the Eq, I always run any head I use flat and use the onboard eq of the bass or I use the Sans Amp BDDI to dial in the sound I want.
  8. I've heard that as Acoustic Image keeps updating their amps, they're getting worse. Anyone know if this is true, or are they getting better?
  9. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    I've had both the 300ia and the 400ia amps and the newer version was a much better amp than the older one. Sounded better and didn't make weird noises like the old one did. Just overall seemed better engineered.
  10. I would agree. The new stuff is definitely an improvement.