Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acoustic Image Clarus 1 - uncoloured?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dBerriff, Mar 23, 2005.

1. dBerriff

dBerriff

Oct 2, 2004
    Oakham, UK
    I have just bought an Acoustic Image Clarus 1. Playing through Ashdown 'mini' 15" and 4x8" cabs I was impressed by the quality of the sound but surprised how bass-heavy and warm it sounded set flat (suits me fine by the way - just the sound I need). There seems to be a lot less treble and possibly less mid than from my Ashdown Blue and (especially) SWR Workingman's combos also set flat.It is also immediately warmer than my Behringer head played through the same cabs. String noise has all but disappeared.

Acoustic Image claim their amps are set up with a flat frequency response - and I have no reason to doubt them. Does this mean other bass amps are far from flat in their response? Is the bass toned down to accommodate the player who simply turns it up full? Is the treble emphasised for modern slap styles?

Any observations on this from the experts out there?

2. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Does this mean other bass amps are far from flat in their response? Is the bass toned down to accommodate the player who simply turns it up full? Is the treble emphasised for modern slap styles?

Yes, yes, and yes. Don't think for a minute that you're hearing "flat" sound now either; your cabs and room preclude that, more than likely.

3. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    +1. It's flat. I had the same reaction when I first started using it, though.

4. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    I tried one last week at the Bass Gallery in London (it was plugged into an EBS Neo cab). I tried a Status Electro and a variety of ABGs through the rig. Obviously the cab gives the sound some character, but I too was amazed at how clear the sound was - it was especially noticable when playing ABG - it just made the bass sound louder, rather than colouring the tone.

I am now looking out for a used Clarus in the UK.

5. dBerriff

dBerriff

Oct 2, 2004
    Oakham, UK
    Sure, I understand that - hence the need for modelling in the POD and Sans Amp (etc.) boxes. I was just pondering that the SWR in particular seems heavily pre-emphasised.
    Thanks for your comments.

6. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

I don't mean to criticize the Clarus in any way; in fact I'd really like to get my hands on one, or a Focus. :cool:

7. I have been using a clarus 1 with an Accugroove Tri112L and an Epifani 1x10ul for about a year now. It is a most amazing combination and does every gig I could want.

I use a sanamp stomp box for a bit of 'colour'/DI if required but this isn't very often.

My bass is a Sei fretless with piezo's and I think that it comes over particularly well with the clarus. I always get good comments about my tone when I play which is either blues, jazz or a loud classi rock covers band. I can hear everything my bass does which has been a revalation for me!

For me the Clarus covers all basses except very loud gigs but then which case I always go through a p.a.

David B. Try Overwater basses in Carlisle [by phone] I got my clarus from them second hand and they sent it by post. Very quick and efficient and they packed it really really well. The cost wasn't bad either, at £350.

Regards

Matthew

8. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Thanks for the tip Matthew. My only concern about the Clarus is even at a great price (like £350), once you factor in the cost of a decent (preferably lightweight cab - so EA, EBS, Epifani etc), we are up in the price range of some quality combos, such as the EBS Drome, which puts its full 150w through its speaker.

Given the total cost of your rig Matthew, are there times when you have thought about swapping it all for one powerful and portable unit, such as an Aguilar or Epifani combo?

9. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    I have been running a Clarus for a few years and I've done side-by-sides with a lot of other amps, and the Clarus always sounds the most like what is going into it. One caveat is that you can overdrive the input... odd things happen once you start messing with the gain structure. Not necessarily bad, but if you want that clean, punchy sound then you want to match the bass with the input, and keep the gain controls around 12:00, especially the pre-gain.

What I've found to be the best setup is two 1x10 or 1x12 cabs, one at 8 Ohms, one at 4 Ohms. The Clarus really seems most "at home" with a 4 Ohm load, and really sings with a 2 Ohm load. But with those 2 cabs you can run, 8, 4, and 2.66 Ohms and cover a lot of territory in terms of volume, power, and projection.

10. David

You are right that it could be an expensive way to do it, but you have the flexibility to run what ever cab/cabs you want. However I have never wanted a combo instead of the Clarus+cab because my rig is more portable and probably weighs less than a combo.

Regards

Matthew