1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Acoustic Image Clarus 2R

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by mryle, Nov 14, 2001.

1. mryle

mryle

Nov 9, 2001
    North Eastham, MA
    Has anybody out there tried the new AI Clarus 2R? I believe it is being marketed primarily as a guitar amp but I am interested in it because it enables you to blend microphone and piezo input without needing a separate box.

For a while now I have been able to make the microphone a significant part of my amplification, often as much as 100%, by using the Fishman bass blender with an AMT mic. I did a duo gig about a year ago with a piano player and about halfway through the first set she asked me if I was actually using the amp on the chair behind her! She couldn't tell if the sound was coming from my bass or the amp.

But the Fishman blender is a terrible product (mine has been, at least), prone to problems, no XLR input for the mic which greatly reduces the signal strength of the AMT, etc. I am longing for the day when I can toss the thing in the bay (nobody would buy it, that much I know, because I've tried to sell it to no avail).

Using a mic is very important to me because I have by the grace of God a very fine bass and I don't care what pickup you use, it distorts the sound so that there isn't that much difference between a $1500 bass and a $15000 bass.

I'm hoping the Clarus 2R will be the answer to my prayers, but I'm cautious and there is a huge (to my way of thinking) price tag on it ($999). Isn't there anybody who sells AI products at a discount?

2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
  3. mryle

mryle

Nov 9, 2001
    North Eastham, MA
  4. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000