Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acoustic Image Clarus Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kirk P Brosius, Oct 24, 2003.

1. I just bought a sweeet Smith 5str from a player in Chi-town who is using the Clarus with two different cabs for different venues and he loves it. Any one have any feedback

2. Do a search for Clarus in this forum and the amp forum on the DB side and you'll find lots of info and discussion.

3. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    The Clarus is a good sounding little amp, but is not particularly powerful. You would be MUCH better off with a Euphonic Audio iAMP350. It has a flat frequency response like the Clarus, but the EQ is much more versatile. You can get a huge range of tones from it, and it has a lot more power than the Clarus(350 watts @ 4 ohms).

4. I agree with Adrian on the power aspect.

I take it you are liking the iAmp Adrian?

Geoff

5. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    lol I am lovin the iAMP. It is the best sounding and most versatile amp that I have used so far.

6. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    The Clarus is a great small and light weight head and though it's not that powerful but it does have a very high power to weight ration. It is powerful enough for any gig in a small to mid size club and for any size venue if you go direct to the PA. How loud you can get depends on what cabs you hook it up to. It's rated to give 300W at 2 ohms, which means you'd need to four ohm cabs to get that. It's EQ isn't all of that, for some that's an issue, for me it isn't because I usually use the eq from my active bass or I use a Sansamp BDDI. The iAmp350 is more powerful, but it's also heavier i.e. it's not as portable though it is more powerful and has more eq options.

7. Hey all
    Thanks for the input on the Clarus, the iAmp350 looks like a winner. The Eden 400 or 550 may be an alternate choice. I'll check them out.

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    well,

what kind of gigs are you doing? i've used my Clarus on a few funkrock trio gigs/rehearsals, and its been fine.

luckily i'm just battling a hard hitting, slam it thru the wall kinda drummer, while my guitarist is thankfully, not nearly as obnoxious as he could be. regardless, my lil' Clarus does a great job. i love it when bassists in the audience comes up and asks me what that wee little box is i'm using.

i did own an iAMP350, but after using the lighter, easier to sling on your shoulder Clarus, i've become kinda spoiled. besides, i dont think they're being made anymore.

9. dnburgess

dnburgess

Jul 20, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Proprietor: Bass People, Green Square Music
    Joker - what speaker(s) are you using with your Clarus?

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    my trusty Epifani 3x10 ultralite. awesome... :eek:

more than enough volume to hear myself over my hard hittin' funk rock drummer, and my guitarist, but he's not nearly as assinine as most other guit-boyz with their volume. incredibly handy little box.