Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acoustic image Clarus loud enough?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Yamarc, Sep 8, 2003.

1. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    Is the AI clarus 1a loud enough for 4 string bass in a low to medium volume setting? I have 2 Aguilar GS112's and can maybe add a third. I am debating between this and a SWR bass 350, my iamp 350 is actually a bit much in some settings. Thanks, post away!

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    Why clarius? lightweight? why don't you like you iamp 350. I've got a swr 350 its o.k., but the tone shaping flexibility is probably nowhere near the iamp. The tube is kinda nice, but I don't know if that would out weigh the iamp sound. I've actually never heard the iamps. I think my swr does have a certain midrange bump which can make it annoying dry, thats why I run a tech21 RBI.

I almost said I'll trade you my swr for your iamp! :D

3. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    one more thing, does the clarius go below 4 ohms? and when you said "my iamp 350 is actually a bit much in some settings." what do you mean? I would expect the iamp controls to be active and very sensitive or do you use the preset tones? or is the masssive flexibility overwhelming? I could see that too! how far are you from minneapolis?

4. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    In a low volume setting, yes.

Medium volume, it depends. IME, at 8 ohms it won't cut it (blew my EA CXL-110 trying), but I'm now using it with a 4-ohm Ampeg Portabass, and it can keep up volume-wise with a drummer and two guitarists, with PA support.

You won't have a heck of a lot of headroom, and I'm always wary of clipping after what happened before, but nothing beats the Clarus when it comes to portability.

Bear in mind also that the EQ on the Clarus isn't made for major tone shaping like the iAmp's is.

Mike - the Clarus is rated for 350 watts @ 2 ohms, but I've never tried it myself. Previous TB posts have stated that the Clarus can't handle 2 ohms for very long.

5. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    I run a Clarus into a 4 Ohm Ampeg PB210H for most gigs and I find it to be plenty loud. If your bass sounds good then you will have a good sound coming out of the Clarus.

I just sold my iAmp350 because it was too much amp and I was taking my Clarus to gigs instead. The iAmp is a whole different thing. I found that it made huge amounts of low end, which I like unless I am on a hollow platform stage (about half of my gigs it seems).

Yes, It handles 2 Ohm loads very well. I've done it for hours at a time and all I noticed was some additional headroom. I have heard some comments about it not liking them but they seemed to have some other problem as well, like possibly shorting the speaker cable which is a big no-no with switching supply amps.

I've gigged with a friend's rig which is a Clarus into a Bergie 112 and it was incredibly full and still plenty loud.

The biggest issue that I've found with the Clarus is that you need to be careful of how hard you hit the inputs. Don't try and make the rig louder by plugging your (my!) active bass into the hi gain input and cranking it. It can make some clippy distortion if you push it hard. That can be useful, but not usually. Otherwise it just pours on the power. I'll use a SansAmp BDDI if I need more of a tube amp sound. It does a nice job of producing that fliptop/bassman vibe.

6. fretlessrock

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    I just noticed the question about how the iAmp 350 could be too much amp. What I noticed is that pre-gain setting had a lot to do with how much bottom end enhancement I got. If I kept the pre gain down about 30-40% I could crank the Post (final) gain and it would stay balanced. If I started using the pre-gain to get louder it would get boomy. The Ampeg PB210H might be a bit too efficient and boomy for the iAmp. Something a bit more hi-fi like and EA or an Acme would probably be better.

I decided to change amps instead of buying another cab, or cabs. Otherwise I think that the iAmp 350 was a great piece of work.

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    yea, it does hits 2 ohms for 400 watts.

i use my Clarus all the time, when i go to the local crappy NYC rehearsal hall, so i dont have to deal with the awfully beatup and old Hartke stuff.

and thru a Hartke 4x10, the Clarus is more than loud enough against my harder than freakie hard funk drummer. as much as i got mad love for Dave, he's a freak back there. :eek: but the Clarus easily overwhelms him.

funny thing, yesterday we were in a room with a 50 watt Peavey Classic 50 half stack, and despite my guitarist revving it super high, i had no problem keeping up.

the EQ is pretty limited, but it does its job. the best thing, tho, is the high pass filter. great in fixing any boominess. i dont really use the Clarus' EQ, but rather just fiddle with my onboard EQ, where the flat responsive Clarus translates my tone beautifully.

btw, the "lo-Z" input is for the low impedence of active basses, while the "hi-Z" input is for passive basses.

and the direct out sounds pretty good. not exactly my Demeter goodness, but servicable. also, the master controls the DI output, so be careful, you're not sending toooo hot a signal to the grumpy soundguy.

its a great little box, and i'm pretty psyched for the limited edition 600 watter that's still in development.

i know Peter McF uses an old style Clarus with his pair of Aguilar 1x12's, and he says it a HUGE sound.

i've had the EA iAMP350, and love its flexibility, and especially the "clear as a bell" tone, but once you've carried a Clarus around town, and have appreciated its no nonsense no frills, "just your bass" tone, you're hooked on it.

8. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    you have to mean inefficient, right? these PB 210s are like 93DB @ 1w/1m... think of coupling it with a aggie 112. thats like 10 DB more of efficency.

9. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I am using my Clarus through a Euphonic Audio CXL210, and it sounds huge. Extremely loud. Like Joker said, the EQ isn't drastic. Having active electronics sure helps. I am thinking about picking up an Aguilar outboard preamp to use with the Clarus. It is a great amp, but not quite sparkly enough.

10. fretlessrock

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    I guess that I shouldn't have brought up efficiency of the PB210H. Being 4Ohm they really feel like a more efficient 8Ohm cab. I know, 3dB vs 10dB in your example, but they don't feel like power-soaks like some Acme's that I've played through.

I love those Aggie 1x12 cabs. I could see a pair of those being a great match with the Clarus. I have a pair of Flite 1x10's and they make a nice stack as well.

11. fretlessrock

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    BTW, a really funny thing about gigging with the Clarus is that I keep getting asked "what does that little box do?"!! It isn't much bigger than an Aguilar DI, come to think of it. When I explain that it is my amp, well, the discussion seems to turn to SVTs and what kind of gear we used to lug.

12. capalito

capalito ----

Dec 27, 2002
    The Clarus lacks the punch and power you need for electric bass unless you use a bass with 2 batteries maybe, and a very efficient cabinet (made 10 years ago) cause new cabs like Epifani suck lots of power.
    For acoustic bass the Clarus might be an option if you have an efficient 10" cab.

13. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    actually, all my basses use only one 9v battery each, and they all sound killer. and btw, forgot to mention that i use my Clarus with my Epifani 3x10UL for rehearsals with my ever so loudly drummer.

but you're right about acoustic bass. my bud loves borrowing my Acme 1x10 and clarus for his swing gigs. says it thumps, feels, sounds like NO other.

14. fretlessrock

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    :rolleyes:

Is this for real? What are you basing it on? Chatroom bunk from someone else with no real experience?

I've been playing gigs in clubs for two years with mine, it has plenty of punch. I play electric bass and have used passive basses, 9v active, and 18v acive basses with no real difference in performance. The number of batteries in the bass has NO meaning whatsoever. A few dB of headroom in your preamps changes nothing.

How about reading the rest of the thread where real players are using the Clarus in real performance situations and it is getting the job done? ...or maybe coming up with something more concrete?

15. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I don't know about those specs. 93dB is a misleading figure - the PB cabs are LOUD.

I had the same doubts when I first saw the specs on the Portabass. Then I tried one out.

16. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    I find my GS112 (or two) are a great match for the clarus - as long as you want a big fat sound. You're not going to get clear or cutting without major EQ.

But they do sound good!

17. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I have heard that you can have a modification done to the Clarus to make the EQ more useable. The sound of the Clarus is very similar to a direct sound. You don't generally have the sparkling highs as pronounced.

I disagree about the Clarus not being punchy. I have used it in rock situations with my CXL210 and it kills. If you have a good sounding bass, you will have no problems with the Clarus.

18. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    ROTFL :p

Having lots of batteries in your bass doesn't make any amp louder.

Epifani cabinets don't need any more power than "old" cabinets.

What have you been smoking :confused:

19. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    I wIrEd a car battery into my bass - it's so loud now that my hair grew back!

20. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    So..I'm confused. Is this clarus phat and punchy or clean and clear? On basstasters.com it sounds very clear and many have commented about how it allows your bass to really shine through. If this is true how does it not cut through the band in a mix? Thanks