1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Acoustic Image Clarus SL with Electric bass.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Hertz, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Hertz

Hertz

May 17, 2014
    Aurora, Colorado
    Looking for a new amp and cab and revisited the AI heads. I have seen a few posts with people using the AI Clarus SL for electric bass but not many. I do understand that the unit is promoted as an any instrument clean HiFi head that is not voiced for any particular tone. Is anyone using the most recent Clarus SL for electric bass? What does your EQ look like? The current preamp and Amp I use are the Alembic F1x and the GK 400RB.

Both are colored and I like them. I have also been experimenting with running straight into the mixer with Country Man DI. Not Bad. Wondering how the EQ affects the signal on the Clarus SL. When you boost or cut the EQ are you able to get your sound/ tone the way you like it? If you use dirt or effects before it Does it react well?

I also read that cabinets make a big difference in regards to the style you are playing. For instance a rock cabinet for rock gigs and clean cabinets for Jazz or whatever. Tell me about your experience with the Clarus SL.

Wstrindade likes this.
  2. BassChuck

BassChuck Gold Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    I too am interested. I'd be using a Phil Jones 4x5 cab.

3. BassChuck

BassChuck Gold Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Update.
    I bought one and can't say how much I love it. After years of using the Cafe Walter headphone practice amp and wishing my bass sounded like that outside the house, I think I found it.
    A note about equipment. I have a Warmoth J bass with Nordy pups and and Audre preamp. I've played the Clarus through an Eminence 12". EQ was flat all the way around.
    I play music theater pits orchestras and jazz, big band and small groups, 100% fretted electric.
    I have 2 music theater performances Friday and Saturday, a big band gig and another rehearsal on Sunday. I'm going to use the Phil Jones C4 sometime this weekend. Generally I like the sound of that cab better. I'll post any more specific information, if needed. IM me if you want.

Wstrindade likes this.
  4. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    I have a couple of Acoustic Image amps, and love the sound for electric bass. I even played one in a hard rock band for a while! Never understood the lack of love for these amps from electric bassists.

To answer your EQ question, I find the AI sound to be warm and a little "dark" to my ears, so I typically run with a slight bass cut as my only eq adjustment.

Quilter is another company that seems to have similar design goals to AI, but is more aggressively pursuing the electric bass market.

5. jsbarber

jsbarber

Jun 7, 2005
    San Diego
  6. Paco I

Paco I

May 2, 2018
    Central Texas
    I have a Clarus 1 (Series III) that I've used as a backup for a loud shoe-gaze type band. It did the job admirably. The tone was very neutral. I actually had to cut mids to make it closer sounding to my regular amp. Granted I did have the master on 10 and the input gain on about 8. Still, there was no distortion or any hint of cutting out.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 14, 2021