Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acoustic Image Clarus, what cab?..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tecx, Feb 23, 2004.

1. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Whats a good compact cab to complement a Clarus 1II?.. I am not sure if I want to go with my rack anymore (I know I keep switching..)... I have neve3r used one with electric, but I love it with standup... I have heard its a love it or leave it sorta sound... But I am looking for a transparent amp, with lots of bottem... Arrg... I hate it when GAS gets in the way when you are trying to solve a problem....

I am looking for a single 12" cab...

Alex

2. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Epifani T-112.

3. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Thanks Jason, how much are they going for now?.. And has anyone had any expiriance with using effects with a clarus?..

Alex

4. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    I use mine with a Berg HT112 and it sounds great. A little smaller and lighter than the Epi but sounds huge. Same rig Ed Friedland is using. http://www.edfriedland.com/equip.htm

5. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA

As far as pricing goes, new 112s are $ 600-750 depending on where you buy them from. Used 112s go for around $ 400.

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    the clarus is pretty transparent, so it'll take to any cab you use it with. like a mini PA.

but IMHO, i love hearing it with a Berg cab. the bergs have always sounded glossy, smooth, and sweet, dare i say, "tube" like, that complements the hifi, yet smooth character of the Clarus.

with aguilar gear, a Mesa 400+, or even an SVT, its too much tubieness for me. sounds almost mushy mouthed. but with really hifi stuff like Demeter preamps, an Avavlon U5, EA iAMP series heads, EBS heads, and of course, Acoustic Image heads like the Clarus, its a match made in heaven!

7. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    The Acme B1 sounds great with a Clarus, just make sure you get a 4ohm version if you are using just one cab.

Raezer's Edge cabs also sound very good with the Clarus. I'm talking upright by the way.

8. Steve Whitman

Steve Whitman

Sep 4, 2000
    I like my Clarus with an Aguilar GS 112, or better yet, a pair of them. The Aggies have been discussed here many times. Never had a chance to try a Bergie or Epi or EA with it - we just don't get those cabs here in NM. But a Clarus/GS112 rig is sweet for smaller gigs, and a lot less expensive than some of the others. YMMV, etc
    Steve