Acoustic Image Clarus.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Marty Forrer, Jan 31, 2001.

1. Has anyone here had any experience with this head-only version of the AI combo? Two questions in particular, first, how does it handle the low B? Second, it's rated 300w into 2ohms, 200w into 4ohms, and 120w into 8ohms, but who would have a 2ohm load? Not me, so does it cut it with the 4 or 8ohm loads?
  2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The Clarus as you know is the same amp section as found in the Contra. The Contra has a 4 ohm speaker system and there is an unpowered 4 ohm extension available; this is why it is designed to handle a 2 ohm load.

As far as 200 watts "cutting it" the real question is what kind of speaker will you use with it and how loud do you need to get? I'm sure a Clarus driving an SVT bottom would get plenty loud (and make for an interesting rig!!), but an inefficient cabinet like an Acme B2 will be limited in terms of usable volume.
  3. A great-sounding amp! Very free, detailed sound. I didn't play a 5-string through it, but I don't see how the performance of a solid state amp could fall down on one string. It sounded decently loud with two 8-ohm Bag End 1x15 cabs. YMMV, so play one and see for yourself!
  4. My problem is I cant try one, 'cos the person who imports them into my country only brings them in to order. I am quite happy with my SWR400S into Goliath II 4x10 and 1x15, I just like the idea of the compactness of the Clarus head.
  5. The amp is indeed tiny, but it was the sound that impressed me. I will probably get one some time for the sound. Bulk in an amp doesn't matter much to me. It's the speakers that are the real problem. My rack is many times bulkier and heavier than a Clarus, but it's nothing compared to the bulk and weight of my speaker.

I think the main thing is that it's a very accurate little amp. If you like the way your bass and speakers sound, you might like the Clarus. If you feel significant amounts of EQ tweaking are needed to make your bass or speakers sound good, you may not like the Clarus.