Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acoustic Image Claurus --> QSC PLX2402?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DBasica, Apr 23, 2003.

1. DBasica

DBasica

Jan 6, 2003
    I recently got an Acoustic Image Clarus 2R to use as my small amp. Really tiny (6 lbs.), 2 channels, mic input, reverb, etc. Great little head. Works great with my Ampeg PortaBass 212 cabinet. Really loud for 200 watts, and the whole rig is about 44 lbs. Can't say enough good things about this combination.

But I just can't give up my QSC PLX2402 power amp though. For louder applications, this amp is just killer, even running just one channel to the Ampeg 212. Hard to describe, but I think it may have to do with how well it is at damping. Really tight and responsive. I've been using a JoeMeek MQ3 preamp with this, and it sounds great.

I want to use the Clarus with the QSC. I tried taking the effects send or return from the AI to the QSC, but it is not enough to drive the QSC properly. I also lose the ability to control the effects level. I know the QSC can be modified for different line levels, but I don't really want to do that since the QSC works great as is for other applications (like with the Meek and as a PA amp).

What I really want is a DI-->Line level converter if such a thing exists. That would let me take the DI out from the AI into the QSC.

Can this be done?

Thanks.

2. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    One company I know of that makes level converters (little gain boxes, essentially) that work very well and don't cost an arma and a leg is Radio Design Labs. Here's their Web site: www.rdlnet.com.

3. Normally I'm not a big Behringer fan but this might be exactly what you need. List price is $80.

[​IMG]

Behringer MX602A specs:

Mono input channels

Mic Input electronically balanced, discrete input configuration
    Mic E.I.N. (22 Hz - 22 kHz) -129.5 dBu, 150 Ohm source
    -117.3 dBqp, 150 Ohm source
    -132.0 dBu, input shorted
    -122.0 dBqp, input shorted
    Bandwidth 10 Hz to 60 kHz, ± 3 dB
    Distortion (THD&N) 0.007 % at +4 dBu, 1 kHz, Bandwidth 80 kHz
    Gain range +10 dB to +60 dB
    Signal-to-noise ratio 113,6 dB
    Line Input electronically balanced
    Bandwidth 10 Hz to 60 kHz, ± 3 dB
    Line level range +10 dBu to -40 dBu
    Equalization
    Hi Shelving 12 kHz +/-15 dB
    Mid Range 2.5 kHz +/-15 dB
    Lo Shelving 80 Hz +/-15 dB

Stereo inputs

Line Input unbalanced

Bandwidth 10 Hz to 55 kHz, ± 3 dB
    Equalization
    Hi Shelving 12 kHz +/-15 dB
    Mid Range 2.5 kHz +/-15 dB
    Lo Shelving 80 Hz +/-15 dB
    Main mix section
    Max output +22 dBu unbalanced
    Aux send max out +22 dBu unbalanced
    Control room out +22 dBu unbalanced
    Signal to noise ratio 112 dB
    Equivalent Input Noise -90 dBu (all channels open, Unity Gain)

4. DBasica

DBasica

Jan 6, 2003
    Thanks Bob, I'll check out the RDL link.

Thanks Allan, that will work, but I'm looking for something smaller than my Meek MQ3 which is 1/2 rack space.

Dan