Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acoustic Image Combos Detachable?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by jcbassomatic, Jun 2, 2004.

1. Hi All,

I'm thinking of getting an AI coda or contra combo, but I'd like the flexibility to use other cabinets without having to carry the AI cabinet with the head. Is the head easily detachable from these combos?

Thanks!!!

2. Not really. I've never removed the head from my Contra, but it looks like you'd have to spend quite a bit of time with a screwdriver.

3. Thanks for the info!!!

4. Actually, JC, the guy to really talk to about Acoustic Image stuff is Bob Gollihur. He may have some more insight into your question. You can reach him through his Website www.urbbob.com

5. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I didn't say this, but a patient person with some hand tools can detach it. It's not a big deal, just be gentle and note what plugs into what as you disassemble it.

6. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Disassemble what, the cabinet or the head?

7. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    The head; being careful, the top section of the head can be unplugged and removed from the bottom section so it can be unbolted from the cabinet and then reassembled.

8. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Thanks Bob! Interested parties...I shall have an expose with pictures on how this is done and post a link in a couple of days.

9. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Yes folks, I have successfully separated one of these.

Complete details and pictures can be found at:

http://www.4me4.us/aipage.asp

Feedback appreciated.

10. Great info! I love this website!!! Thanks for taking the time to post the procedure...

11. Yeah - thanks a lot - I'm likely to try this one - but my AI is under guarrantee - don't have to tell though! Given AI are just bolting the amp on top of a cab you'd think they'd make it detatchable as a matter of course.