Acoustic Image comments?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by basstrader, Jan 4, 2005.

1. I'm thinking about a small, portable combo that I can haul around with ease. I've heard a ton of good comments about the EA and Eden small amps, but haven't read much around these parts about the Acoustic Image Contra. I've seen them on Ebay for around 600 or so used, and am wondering how well they do with electric bass, especially the 5 string variety. Mind you, my gig is church, so it's really a monitor, and I can go through the board if I need more oomph. Waddya think?
  2. Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I had a first generation Contra. It wasn't really suitable for electric bass at all. It does put out a fair amount of lows, but they're bounced off the floor so they have little to no definition of forward umph. It works well for upright but I don't think you would dig it for electric, especially with a 5-string. The Clarus, however, is great and works very well with electric. You just need a more suitable cab.
  3. I haven't had any experience with the Clarus but my AI Focus is a great amp. I am using it from small venues (with a 12+) to mid size gigs (1210 or 1212), and it performs exceptionally well.
  4. I use a Clarus for both my upright and my electrics. I use it with a Aquilar cab and it sounds great. Interestingly, I haven't been as impressed with it whn I hook my fretless to it, but for my other basses it sounds awesome and even works well with an effects loop. I would recommend it wholeheartedly.
  5. I use an Acoustic Image clarus with an Accugroove Tri 112L and an Epifani 1x10ul. I play fretless most of the time but on occassions fretted. Both are killer!

I play in church and the clarus rig is perfect both as a monitor sometimes a standalone. I also play in a loud rock band and my rig holds its own there too as a monitor.

I cannot say enough good things about the Clarus accept I sometimes wish I had more power, so the Acoustic Image Focus is on the horizon.

I personally would not go for a contra. But would recommend the Clarus to anyone. If you go for one you will have a brilliant amp to which you can put the cab of your choice.

Happy hunting

6. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    The Contra is much better for Upright. It has a spongy sound to it, great for the doghouse. The Contra, like a Clarus built into a cab, is way powerful enough to power another cab. I think the Acme Low B-1 sounds great paired with the Contra, but I think it would be much better to have a Focus (for the headroom) paired with an Acme Low B-1 or an Accugroove (hey why not both!!!). You can't lose either way. I liked the Aguilar GS112, but for me, it farted out too early to be a good "loud" cab. The B-1 is not much better, though, but there are alot of lows for such a small little bugger. I haven't heard the Tri 112, but I have a Whappo Jr. on the way, I know it's gonna be bad!!! :cool: Any small cab will fart out when you push it really hard, even the Tri 110 or 112 or B-1 or GS112. Two small cabs, it gets better. Just bear that in mind. I vote Accugroove or Acme cab(s) with a Focus head. Think about impedance too. A Clarus with a 4 ohm B-1 is a tiny powerhouse, with an 8 ohm, you can add a Tri 110 or 112.... And for the record, I really like dealing with Accugroove as a company much more that Acme, not to say anything bad, I just felt a friendlier vibe there. I bought my Accugroove at a new dealer in NC, Landau Guitars--small place but if you live in NC, you'll be hearing of them sooner or later.