1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Acoustic Image extension cab...or not?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BlahBoy, Jun 18, 2007.

1. BlahBoy

BlahBoy

May 21, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Hello all,

I have an Acoustic Image Contra Series I, which I use with my upright (and EUB) bass and I really enjoy it. I have started to get back into playing a bit more electric (P-bass w/flats) and in those situations I need a little more juice.

do to my limited budget I am thinking to just get an extension cabinet for the AI combo, rather than a whole new rig for e.bass (it effectively increases the power of the amp by lowering the ohms, right?).

Question: For Electric, would you recommend any cabs over the Acoustic Image extension cab? (I was thinking a solid 2x10) or should I get the AI cab?

Needs:
    *4 Ohms
    *Rated at at least 200W
    *Under $450
    *Speakon connector is a bonus

Thanks for your advice!

2. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Contributor- Bass Musician Magazine
    I know a guy here who runs his clarus II combo into a mesa road ready 15 and it sounds great. Personally, I'd go with a 112 like a EA wizzy or a aggie gs112, or a 15 like a bagend s15d. Those are all relatively small and still keep the rig pretty portable while adding some booty for electric.

3. I've got a Contra EX cab that I run with an AI Focus power amp and a couple of different pres. For me it's a fun practise amp/casual jazzy kind of set-up. Certainly not able to handle anything with a loudish drummer in my experience. I love the way it sounds but I did buy in for a specific purpose.

It really depends on what kind of music you are playing at what kind of volumes. The Contra EX certainly meets your four stated needs! (Mine is the older version that is 200w at 4ohm - I think the newer ones are 300w).

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 15, 2021