1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Acoustic Image Flightcase?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by bassmandan81, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Has anybody come up with a good solution for taking your Acoustic Image amplifier on the plane? A friend of mine had a hardshell flightcase for his contra combo, but according to Rick Jones they don't make em anymore. Too many people were sending the amps back busted! There has to be a good solution to this. I have a Ten2 that I would love to bring on the road with me, but without any assurance that I can gate check it and have it return to the bottom of the ramp, I can't take the risk. I'd be grateful for any smart ideas or solutions to this problem. Thanks!

2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    Cape of New Jersey
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music (retired)
    I'd only go for an ATA rated case. A quick google search brought me to Road Cases Stock and Custom Cases Factory Direct (that's not a recommendation, just an example) but you may also want to look for drum cases, perhaps one made for a floor tom. The original cases for Contras were actually drum cases, and while you'll have to determine sizing, that might be the best opportunity to pick up something that could be adapted rather than having to pay the surcharge for a custom built ATA case.

3. Thanks for the reply Bob. I've called everywhere I can think of about floor tom and kick drum cases. Problem is that there's no standard floor tom size that matches the dimensions of the Ten2. I think a custom case might be the only option. Are there any other Ten2 owners out there that would be interested in one of these?

4. How about a flight case made for a floor tom that is larger than the Ten2 and then use some extra padding?

5. I've been looking for the perfect floor tom case for some time. My amp is 18" tall by 14' in diameter. If I can find a floor tom case that's 21" tall by 18' in diameter I will rejoice!

6. How about one of these: Pelican 0350 Protector 20" Cube Case with Foam - Black from Pelican-Case.com

Pelican cases are designed for photography gear, but a big one should work just fine for an amp. They come filled with blocks of foam that you leave in or remove to customize the interior size for your gear. I've never used one, but I hear that they're tough as nails. Also waterproof, and have a lifetime guarantee.

- Hal -