Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acoustic Image Focus 2R

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JoeDaddio, Aug 21, 2004.

1. Hello everyone!

Since this is my first post I'l jsut introduce myself a little bit before I get to my question. My name is Joe, I'm 22, and I've been playing bass for just a little over 3 years now. I have a late 90's G&L ASAT bass that has been upgraded with a Kahler bass tremolo.

So... on to the questions.

I was flipping through a magazine when I saw an advertisement for the Acoustic Image Focus 2R. I went to their website to check them out, and, this might sound a little rediculous, but I cannot figure out if these are bass specific or what. They are being praised on their website for bass, guitar, and keys, but their amps and combos are not divided up into specific categories.

The Focus 2R is a 600w (@ 4 ohms) 4 pound amp. I'm in the market for a new amp within the next couple of months, and when I first saw this it caught my interest, but I don't know if I should be looking into a non bass-specific amp.

Also, while I'm at it, as I mentioned before I am in the marked for a new amp. I currently have a SWR Goliath III 4x10 (I'll be selling my Workingmans 15'' for some extra cash for my amp) and I'm looking for a decent 500+w amp. I play just about everything, from reggae inspired grooves, to moderate rock, folk, classic rock, stuff like that. I like a nice fat, warm bottom (not muddy), but I don't want weak top end. I want to be able to cut trough with some grit when I have to. And also, what are the pros/cons on going pre-amp to power amp, rather than getting a head?

Thanks a lot everyone. Hopefully I can add a little bit to these forums. take care everyone!

edit: Here's a link www.acousticimg.com :)

joe

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    do a search, joe, and you'll see LOTS of praise for the wee little Focus. myself included. and make no mistake, its great with anything given its PA like quality. also, its pretty warm for SS, much like my other fav SS amp, the EA iAMP800. amazing things they're doing with chips these days. :cool:

3. bassjam

bassjam

Aug 2, 2004
    dfw
    Lakland Basses,Genz Benz
    i had the same questions about the focus so i called them.they told me they are not just for bass and can be used with other things.ive heard nothing but good things about them and im very interested as well.
    as for your power amp/pre amp question,i think it really depends on your needs.ive used a power/pre full time for the last five years.it gives plenty of flexability.i can run one to four cabs with plenty of headroom and ive not found a head i like better soundwise.however its a little more to lug around for playing smaller gigs it may not be necessary.i just like to know i have it if i need it.i would rather have extra power than not enough.

4. pjhandlin

pjhandlin Gold Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Joe, I agree with joker's comments regarding the Focus. It is a great little amp with exellent power ratings. I was able to play through one a couple of weeks ago and was astounded as to how light it was.

I have the old Clarus that is smaller then the current design of the Clarus/Focus models and although it is more compact and less watts, it weighs more than the new, higher power Focus. Go figure. I guess it just keeps getting better and better.

I would recommend that you do a search on the Clarus amps as well, which will give you some idea on what has been said regarding the voicing of the preamp section which is the same for either of the Acoustic Image amps.

I have used my trusty Clarus primairly for electric bass and double bass hits. In rare circumstances it has been used for vocals, monitor amp and PA/sound reinforcment amp for a small restraunt/bar gig with piano, guitar and vocals through 3 way 12" PA cabs- always sounds great. Never has let me down, except for the fact that it only rated for 300 watts at 2 ohms and I have grown fond of more headroom- which is exactly what the new Focus offers.

To sum it up, this amp sounds great. It's warm, clean, does not color the sound and is truly versatile. My Clarus is now on backup duty but does come out on quiet jazz double bass gigs where I don't need a ton of headroom.

So do a search on the Clarus to hear what others have said about the sound of Acoustic Image amps. Hopefully, you will get to play through one soon though. I have found that using your hands, your gear and your ears to decide is what it all comes down to.

I tried the pre/power setup for a short period and I think that for most of my gigs the Focus would be a great alternative to a rack setup with enough horsepower for my needs. That is if I were in the market for a new amp right now.

I ended up getting a WW Ultra.

5. Thanks for the info guys. Sorry for not searching first, I'll be sure do that in the future (and right now as well).

joe