Acoustic Image for electric?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ogar, Nov 30, 2003.

1. Hi guys, I am seriously into purchasing small and portable rig. Playing blues, jazz and softer rock (only occasionally slapping) on frettles with flats and fretted jazz-type with rounds. Do you think, that above mentioned amp will do its job properly?
    And also, should I purchase Clarus and two cabs, or right away Contra combo? How will Contra sound on electric? I mean, any problems with boominess of downfiring woofer (I would expect it)?
    I did search, but not much informations...
    Thanks for your inputs!
  2. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i've used my Clarus plenty of times with my Epifani 3x10, and its been loud enough for my funk rock gigs.

unfortunately, at a recent gig, my Clarus literally went up in smoke! i dont usually get too aggressive with my onboard EQ, but i think my Sadowsky's immense bass boost did something to the innards, and caused a melt down! all i saw were a cloud of thick smoke floating from the chassis.

you can do it, just be careful with your onboard EQ. :meh:
  3. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    Did you find the clarus's EQ to be versitile enough by itself? I use a passive bass sans eq and am wondering if the simple eq on the clarus is effective.
  4. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    actually, i did find it to be pretty dramatic, contrary to earlier reports.

but i just didnt find the EQ to be voiced in the certain frequencies i liked. e.g. i couldnt seem to dial out the right upper high end for that smoother sound i like. and the low end was as punchie or bold like my Sadowsky's onboard.

but for my Eminence EUB sounded great, and the EQ seemed better suited for it.
  5. junglebike

junglebike Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    I had a contra combo for a while. Sounded fabulous, but really not loud enough for anything but acoustic gigs. It'd be great for upright jazz stuff, but I wouldn't recommend it for electric bass.
  6. abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    I did a gig recently at Detour in NYC (very small jazz club) on my jazz bass using the Clarus head and EAcxl112. A friend of mine came down and commented on how great the bass sounded. As much as I appreciated the comment, I realized that for what the music entailed (lots of jazz ballads, mid tempo funk tunes) and the instrumentation (acoustic piano, trumptet, drums, vocals)I didn't need a hell of a lot of versatility tone-wise. The Clarus and the EA were fine for that but I think if I was playing with a louder band I would have wanted more coloration and more heft which I haven't been able to get out of the Clarus on electric unless using something like the Sadowsky pre-amp. The Clarus is terrific for upright and EUB but for electric I prefer another head, unless it is a low volume gig, in which case the Clarus is fine.
  7. I have put a Sans amp stomp box between my bass [Ken Smith fretted 4 string] and my Clarus. It gives a great sound. Without the Sans amp a frettted [IMO] sounds very flat.

However for fretless electric I do not use the Sans Amp and the sound is unbelievable just going straight into the Clarus.

I would agree however that the power is not enough for loud gigs. My use is mainly supporting acoustic guitar/vocals with occassional electric guitar so I have not found a problem so far.

The main advantage is of course the weight and transportability of my rig. Clarus/ Sans amp/ Epifani UL 1x10.

8. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Would the Phil Jones briefcase sized amp work?
  9. iloveloosey

iloveloosey Guest

Sep 9, 2000
    where did you get this class-D power amp module? tell, please! it sounds interesting...
  10. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    I would spring for the head and get different cabs. I've used it with a single 10, a 12, a 15, a 2x10 and a 15. The last configuration was the loudest and I still have juice to spare. Like any tool it has its uses, you have to determine if it's the right tool for the jobs your going to do with it. For me it covers 95% of what I do, Jazz gigs, a rock gig with a hard hitting drummer and one guitar, various other things.
  11. I've used my Clarus on a variety of gigs and have found it to be both loud enough and more than tonally adequate (and I've never once had to touch the EQ). If you use an instrument and a speaker cabinet with a lot of personality, the Clarus will reward you with glorious sound--no amp simulator necessary. In my case, I've pushed Eden and Aguilar speaker cabinets with it, and have always used my trusty FBBs.

Would I use a vintage-style or a "hi-fi" bass like a Ken Smith with the naked Clarus? Probably not. But with my equipment and my style, it works fabulously.

FWIW, I'm planning to scale back my rig to just the Clarus and a Euphonic VL-208, since I won't be playing any loud gigs for the next few years. I can't imagine what I did before I had this thing.
  12. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    funny, but pete's last band was one of the reasons why i went with the Clarus, cause it was similar to my own. if the Clarus had enough power for Pete, it was powerful enough for me.

but Pete, i can understand maybe not using a "passive" vintage style bass, cause of the lack of EQ, but why not a "hifi" bass? my Elrick and Sadowsky's onboard pre's made the Clarus that much more versatile, and all did sound marvelous, before the meltdown.
  13. Just come back from being House bassist at an open night where people get the chance to play 3 or 4 songs. I thought I would give an update whilst I unwind with a drink before bed!

They were all acoustic players I was supporting and my Clarus + Sans amp + Epifani UL 1x10 really cut through. Having posted earlier on this thread about my Ken Smith fretted 4 string through this rig, I thought I had better use it tonight and refresh my memory on how it sounded.

All I can say is that the sound was supurb. It was tight, articulate and cut through really well. I played both finger style and a little slap and the rig coped with everything.

Each time I use the rig live I come home more and more impressed with the tone that I get. It was also appreciated by the people I was supporting which was just as well really :) and I got a number of good compliments on my tone when it was over.

I would recommend it as a light weight rig to anyone that did not need loud volumes.

Matthew :bassist:
  14. How loud is it? I use an SWR Bigfoot 2x12 and play rather loud.. but only at rehearsals, when we gig we go quieter since it all is mic'd up.

Will those 200w be enough?

I had a Trace Elliot combo with 150w and 1x15 and that had to be pushed HARD to be enough at rehearsal, so I went Boogie 400+ to solve it.That is one haevy piece though, hence thinking Walter Woods or Acoustic Image.
  15. I think you are talking of two different beasts. The Walter Woods is up to 1200 watts [someone will correct me if I am wrong:) ] whilst the Clarus will do 120 watts @ 8 Ohms, 200 Watts @ 4 Ohms and 300 watts @ 2 Ohms.

I use a single 8 Ohm cab at the moment but I will be getting a second 8 Ohm cab [either another 10 or a 12 for more bass response] to give me the 200 watts @ 4 Ohms which will make a big difference for me.

If you need a light weight rig as I do for my bad back and play at lowish volumes then the Clarus is fine. If you play upright, EUB, or fretless then the Clarus is supurb.

However if you are a rock group with loud drums and BIG guitars then the Clarus will not be enough. You will need the Walter Woods.

I generally compete with acoustic guitars, piano or Keys and quiet drums and so I do just fine. For me the light weight is king, and as I usually play fretless the Clarus sound wise is hard to beat which is why it was my choice.

Another factor for me was that Walter Woods do not appear second hand in the UK and the cost new was too much.

Try both but remember the Clarus dose a lot very well but is not the loudest baby on the block.

16. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    Can't wait for the 600W clarus to come out :hyper:
  17. when when where did you hear this?? :)
  18. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    Its been in the works for a while. From what I've heard it will be 600W into 4 ohms and the same size and only a couple pounds heavier than the current model. Should be out in a month or two.
  19. andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    i played a clarus and epifani (not sure which mode) cabinet rig a few weeks ago with my active conklin gt-4. sounded so great; then again, the amp i use is a fender bassman 60 :(
  20. abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    I'm pretty sure the 600 watt Clarus has been put on the back burner by Acoustic Image. Bob Gollihur had something about it on his website about a year ago. I'm sure he would know the status of the 600.