Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acoustic Image Report

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Don Higdon, Feb 12, 2001.

1. The Acoustic Image Contra performed beautifully in an acoustically difficult room Saturday night. I had done a comparison with my G-K MB150E in my luthier's shop earlier, and the AI outclassed it. The G-K tone was very electric. On the gig, I received unsolicited positive feedback from the other musicians as to the naturalness and warmth of the AI's sound. Plenty of volume available, the AI will work anywhere you'd use an MB150.
    Heretofore, I have been totally disappointed with the Schertler package and, despite all the glowing talk, a Euphonic Audio combo. The failure of both to deliver good tone was compounded by their high cost.
    You know I've always said what works for you doesn't necessarily mean it'll work for me, and vice versa. BUT, if you have the chance, try an AI. They're in very short supply, and my guess is that's testimony as to how well received they are.

2. I have also been very pleased with my AI. (Not enough to dump my Walter Woods, though! ;) )
    I used to use an MB150 also, and the AI just blew it away. I love the tone and the portability, no more double trips to the car! I am surprised you didn't like the Schertler though, for that kind of bread I almost expected it to sing and dance as well. One other thing,What were you using with the EA's, Don? I hear they need to suck up a lot of wattage to sound their best.I think Bob G. (hail Bob!) uses a 1200 watt crown power amp or some similar monstrosity with his EA combo.

3. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I'm actually up to a 2400w QSC for my rock rig with the two VL-210 EA cabs (no wonder my hearing is going - and I thought it was just age). I have used a Clarus with the VL-208 (120w/8 ohms) and it gets plenty loud. The Euphonic Audio cabs are terrifically accurate and deliver all the frequencies and transients. Some players may not prefer this in some URB situations, (myself included, depending on the assignment) and even electric bass play -- no big fat booms, just the real deal. The Contra combo is bass-heavy and stops short at the midrange IMHO, reducing most of the high end frequency response, which can be a more desirable sound for URB in some situations.

4. Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    FYI, I am now officially an Acoustic Image dealer. I'll add the info to my web site within a couple weeks.

5. Just came in from a gig. My three most trusted musician friends (tenor, piano, drums) all raved about the AI sound. Time to order Mr. Gollihur's mic, I guess.

6. Jon Stefaniak

Jon Stefaniak Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2000
    Tokyo, Japan
    I just got the contra (combo) today. It is the most amazing thing i've ever seen in bas amps. Small, Clean, loud-enough, loaded with tone.

7. Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    So Don, have you installed your new Golden Trinity Mic uprgrade kit yet?? Tech support only an email or phone call away if necessary.

Awfully quiet in the DB section of TalkBass this week!

8. I've stuff to do every night through Thursday, so I'm going to set up on Saturday morning with my luthier. I prefer doing it with a set of refined ears on hand.

9. AI Contra users - What do you use for a carrying case? I'm probably going to buy a 16" tom-tom case from a drum shop. ?????????

10. Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    AI just came out with a carrying case for the Contra/Coda/EX models, which in fact is a heavy duty padded tom-tom case with shoulder strap and AI logo. $99. I can get you one.

11. Hey Bob (all hail Bob!), I'm a doubler, and I play 6 string toy bass. Can you tell me how the AI handles a low B string? Thanks.

12. Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    It does fine, although you have to realize the Contra is not made for loud situations. I've used mine for coffeehouse gigs with fretless electric and ABG, and practice with my classic rock band w/five string and it did well. But don't expect it to carry a large room or a band with an aggressive drummer.

13. I've been using my 5 string bass guitar through my Contra at rehearsals w/the Salsa band I work in. It's more than loud enough to be heard with three miked horns plus a three piece percussion battery miked up, three mked vocalists also playing various percussion, and a keyboard. And it handles the low B.

14. Could the Contra carry in a larger room and louder situations if harnessed with a more "conventional" extension speaker, such as a Hartke 2x10 or 4x10?

For electric, I'm currently using the Hartkes with a GK RB800, which is also a 300-watt amp. Or am I comparing apples to oranges?

15. Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Not necessarily - I recently heard from a guy who runs his Contra with a 2x10 for larger gigs and is quite pleased. As long as the Hartke 2x10 or 4x10 are 4 ohms, you will get 300w from the combination.

16. I want to let anyone who may be hesitating to purchase an Acoustic Image product, Don't! I'm totally amazed at the support the company has given me. Through my own overuse and at times neglect, the grill under my Contra came off, and they replaced it no charge. I then, like a true wizard, blew out my Clarus (totally my fault, by plugging it in to other speakers while the power was still on) and they're sending me free replacement parts and even gave me detailed instructions on how to install them. If any one out there is as all thumbs as I am with electronics and gear, this is the only company you should deal with. Plus they're easy to get a hold of.

17. Jon Stefaniak

Jon Stefaniak Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2000
    Tokyo, Japan
    I have also had to deal with the company over a defective unit. I left a message about a problem in my contra, and a couple days later, I recieved a speaker in the mail. (unfortunately, the problem wasn't the speaker) I endied up sending the unit back, and they sent me a new unit. their coustomer service is quick and easy they seem to really want to please their coustomers.

18. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Finally got my hands on a AI-contra, here, in France. Like everyone I agree it sounds nice, and I appreciate its simplicity regarding ajusting the various knobs. I agree with Bob G (hail) that the AI is rather bass-heavy and miss some midrange and higher frequencies response. It will probably replace my GK although I find it less portable and a bit bulkier, it is a step foreward toward a better sound.

19. bullmoose

bullmoose

Jun 15, 2001
    Edinburgh, UK
    Just tried the Contra in a local shop but was only able to try with an EUB and couldn't really crank it up so didn't get a proper idea about what it can do.
    There's obviously high praise for it on this forum.
    Has anyone tried it with electric bass? I need a small-gig amp and something for on-stage monitoring if I'm going through a PA (with DB) but quite fancy something more portable than my Trace for EB gigs.
    Also looking at the GK amps as something that may handle both EB & DB.
    Has anyone tried both the MB150E & MB150S in terms of which EQ section being more suitable for DB? Or is it just not worth the compromise in an amp that does both averagely than 2 amps that do one thing well. Generally I'm going through a PA so the amp is usually going to be for the benefit of me & the drummer on stage.
    Also, is £795 a good UK price for the Contra?

20. moose: Check out the post on this thread by David K on 5/6/01