1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Acoustic Image + Rock Music?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by katri, Apr 27, 2009.

1. I have recently been looking into moving towards a lighter rig and I have found an Acoustic Image Focus SA for sale but I am wondering would it be suitable for rock/pop/punk stuff. I run a pedal board with 7 pedals the last of which is an aguilar Tone Hammer (which I plan on using as my pre). So I guess my question is will AI stuff sound ok for the style of music I am playing and when I am running a fuzz pedal through it?
    The only reason I ask is because I know that AI stuff is aimed at the jazz/upright Market.

Thanks
    Dan

2. bump. Anyone?

3. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I've been using the power section of my Focus with an Aggie
    Tone Hammer or Sansamp Para Driver for a few years. It
    seems to work very well for electric bass. No complaints

4. I've used an Acoustic Image Focus SA (Series III) for approximately two years for everything: rock, blues, funk, R&B, jazz, country, etc. and it has performed flawlessly with every bit of the power advertised. I've chosen to add some tube gain by putting an ART TubePAC (no EQ) in front of it. I add EQ through the controls (on my active basses) or an outboard preamp (Sadowsky, Aguilar, East, etc., and ART does make other preamps that include EQ). Obviously there are countless effects pedals that can also act as a preamp. I don't know of another set-up that is more convenient or versatile and still sounds this good.

The Focus SA is tiny, weighs nothing and has performed without so much as a hiccup. One of my favorite and most worthwhile gear purchases.

Bluesy Soul :cool:

5. hensonbass

hensonbass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I use an AI Focus 2 (series 1) amp and I have started running a Summit TD-100 pre/di into the chan. 2 effect return whereby I bypass the AI preamp and then I take a 1/4" direct out from the Summit into a VT Bass pedal and then run that into chan. 1 .

By blending the two signals together I'm getting a HUGE sound. :bassist: And the beauty of it is that I can tune in a nasty distorted tone and when I blend it with the direct tone it never loses the low end tightness.

My cabinet is a Phil Jones neo 8B cab and I love how it responds to any tone I put through it.

The point is the Acoustic Image amp section reproduces anything you throw at it. I would use a really efficient cab, something more neutral sounding but with full frequency response so you can get a wide range of tones. Unless of course you want a specific cabinet color to your sound.

Rock on. :bassist:

6. Does this setup allaw a reverse polarity?? I tried running a line from my mxr m80 di into channel 2xlr and a 1/4 out into channel 1 and at the same volume control it seems to phase cancel? But i have been known to be retarded.....

7. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

+1 to all the above. The Focus (now called the Clarus+ or something) has, IMO, the best (i.e., fullest, loudest... safe at 2ohms, and GREAT service and support) power section of any of the SMPS amps I've tried or owned (which is basically all of them:D).

I don't like the voicing of the pre much for EB, but per the above, running a more aggressive pre either into the front end of that amp, or through the effects return can give you a very powerful amp with virually any tone you want.

8. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    +another for the Tone Hammer through the Focus. That's a very versatile setup.

To preserve your street cred, don't tell anybody that your amplifier is "aimed at the jazz/upright Market."

9. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Actually, to really preserve you street cred, you should tell people that you beat up a Jazz DB player and took it from him.

10. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    +1

In all seriousness, I agree that theses amps work great for rock/funk. They get loud as heck, and they don't have a particularly modern character or anything.

11. Ken, the Focus SA doesn't have a preamp--but I agree with your comments as they apply to the Clarus and other Focus models, which is the reason I bought a Focus SA.

Bluesy Soul :cool:

12. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

ah, +1 I didn't see that he found an SA.

He should buy that, since they are no longer in production!

13. fish slapper

fish slapper

Nov 17, 2005
    Newberg, OR

+1

OP: if you decide to pass, PM me the link.:bag: