Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acoustic Image Sale

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by natrab, Jul 18, 2005.

1. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    As some of you know, there are some new amps coming out from AI. Because of this, some of the older ones are being sold at a discount. For those of you wanting to get a Focus, this may help :)

I just ordered a matching Focus SA power amp to go with my Focus 1 from Gollihur.

That'll put my rig at 7.5 lbs and 1200 watts :hyper:

2. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Yeah, I've been hoping to find a used Foucus 1R - but it looks like nobody gets rid of theirs (and probably for good reason). I don't know whether to suck it up and get a new one now while they're a little cheaper or wait for the Series III :confused:

3. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I'd be at least tempted to wait and see what the specs on the new ones are going to be before getting one of the old ones. I would hate to find out the new Focus was 1200 watts for like $150 more or some such nonsense.

4. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Should we assume there may be a new Focus announced at NAMM next weekend? Does anyone know what the upgrades or changes will be?

5. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    They must not be changing the Clarus yet. AI make top notch stuff I'm looking forward to the new models.

6. I would like to get one. But if the new one have more power I'll wait. Do you guys think that gollihur knows the specs on the new amp?

7. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Yeah, he does. :) But all the details aren't for publication yet. I can say to expect a little more power with almost every model.

8. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I do plan on getting whatever the next step is. I'm happy to complete my original Focus rig with the SA at the moment though.

Everything from AI has been great to me so far, I can't wait to see the new stuff.

9. Does anyone else see a rather blatant similarity of the artists rendering on their site to the current Walter Woods heads? I guess that's OK, but you would think from a marketing perspective they would want to keep their own rather unique look. I would also miss those top mounted controls, since I assume most of us use the heads with small, low to the ground cabs.

10. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    yeah, it looks like an all black walter woods head...i'm sure its not just a coincidence...

11. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    It is very possibly a response to user input.

Some people may have the amp closer to the groud; some people not.

One group would prefer the old control panel; the other one that faces forward.

The logical compromise would be a slanted control panel.

How many amps out there look similar to other amps?

12. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Has anyone mated a Focus with the legendary Bergantino HT/EX Mini stack yet? If so, can you offer any feedback, observations, opinions regarding that combination? Thanks

13. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ask Wilbyman, he has used this combo.

14. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Apparently AI thinks so as well. Take a look again at their site.

15. Um... that was the point... we were commenting on how they made the new head look like the current Walter Woods (at least in the drawing)... slanted front panel, two identical rows of knobs, the 'knob protector' panels extending from the side of the amp, etc.

I guess Walter has been successful with this design for many years, and they are in the same market (primarily DB players looking for a very small, flat sounding head), so what the heck!