Acoustic Image Series 3

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassmanjones, Aug 18, 2005.

1. bassmanjones

Feb 23, 2002
    Boston, MA
    Anyone have any info?

The mockups on the page look cool but does anyone know the specs who is allowed to share them?

(don't worry Bob Gollihur, we know your lips are sealed)
  2. No specs yet... they say the new ones will be out in September.... the way things usually go, that means January!

You can get some GREAT deals on Series II's right now.
  3. bassmanjones

Feb 23, 2002
    Boston, MA
    Yeah....but someone's got to have some specs that have leaked out
  4. From the basic comments on the web, it seems like it's more of a 'feature and aesthetic' update than a total workover. They seem to make a point that it will be the 'same great AI sound' so I assume the preamp will be the same, with probably a slight goosing of the power section (here's a guess.... they may have figured out a way to get the Clarus type power section into Focus level power... i.e., 600 watts into 4ohms and 900 watts into 2ohms, or something like that... since the Focus will not run safely into 2). I also have heard that they will finally include instrument inputs on both of the channels of their two channel amps... very good idea! Who knows though... I like my Focus but look forward to seeing and hearing what those guys come up with. :bassist:

5. Cool!
  6. I just heard the 600w model last night..(Scott's) and it was whoopin' for sure. We briefly compared to my WWU and it's very impressive. IMO the Focus has a bit more of the natural sounding bottom and lower mid. The WWU has a more pronounced upper mid which we felt kind/sorta equated to more of a presence if you will. That was about a 5 minute comparison so.. Tested with my El Whappo and Scott's TRI112L via Lakland Skyline Joe5 maple board. Of course anything Scott plays or play on is always amazing... :) Scott knows a lot about gear so he can answer much.
  7. I'd describe the differences between my WW and Focus in the same terms. When you consider the cost of the Focus (especially the current Focus at blowout prices), it gets even more impressive.
  8. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Gloucester County, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    Just a note; the Focus can and will in most cases drive a 2 ohm load; it's just not "officially" rated at 2ohms... Since speakers rated at 2ohms can sometimes vary in the actual load it presents, the Focus has a overload protection circuit, so if the load exceeds its abilities, it will simply shut off rather than damage the amp or the cab...

That's with the current Focus, anyway...
  9. There's recently posted Series III info over on the DB side.... seems like a major redo of the cabs, and a relatively minor (but positive nonetheless) update of the heads... with more power and finally 1/4" and mic inputs on the both channels of the two channel units. Seems like the preamps will be pretty much the same.
  10. Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Great amp. I did a gig this weekend with the Focus and Epi UL112, and the sound was just excellent. I too look forward to the Series III amps, though I doubt I'll be investing unless there's a preamp change which really interest me (IE, more EQ). I'll miss the lunch-box look of the Series I and II amps if they do away with it.

I wish Rick would consider doing an electric bass version with a parametric EQ, but I know that's not his (perceived) niche market. If he did, maybe Wilkins could do some cool paint job on it like he does on Demeter's stomp boxes!

11. I just got an email from AI that they just sent to current registered owners. I addition to my comments above, it sounds like that amp casings are actually going to be plastic(!)... I could be very wrong here, but the new polymer material is quoted for both heads and cabs... also, they mentione 3 band EQ (versus the current 4). Who knows... I'm sure they will sound good.

Here's the key points from the email:

No product name changes (beyond the Series III suffix)
    Contra, Coda, and Clarus Series III power output increases to 300 watts (4 ohms)
    Focus and Focus SA power output increases to 800 watts (4 ohms)
    All integrated amplifiers now have: three-band EQ, mute switch, dual-purpose quarter-inch/XLR inputs (both with notch/high pass filter), reverb plus other effects (chorus, flange, delay), pre and post EQ on the direct out, and stereo capability (with satellite amp).
    All combos weigh less than 20 lbs and have CAD-designed injection molded cabinets with integrated handles, internal speaker connection, and spring-loaded tilt mechanism—as well as a cover with power cord storage compartment and shoulder strap.
    Single-channel models are only available without reverb/effects. All dual channel models come with reverb/effects.
  12. Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Thanks Ken, that's good info. 3-band eq...I can't say that's a big loss. The 4-band wasn't necessarily all that usable anyway for electric bass. I do like the voicing of the brite knob for cutting out/putting in a little zing in your upright sound, and the bass knob is well voiced as well. The mid knobs I never got much out of.
  13. natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I've been using a True Blue EQ with my Focus lately, and it makes a huge difference in the sound quality. I may upgrade to a Series III for more power, but I'll probably continue to use the TB (it fits nicely in the extra pouch with the cables).

The plastic case thing worries me though. I'll take the extra weight (what is it, like 1 pound of metal?) for the added durability.
  14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I wonder if one of these AI amps could be the amp to pull me away from my iAMP500???? I'm really itchin' to try one.

15. +1 The Focus is a cool little piece of gear, but no comparison to the TF for electric bass! There are a lot of comments about using extra EQ with the Focus power section... which is another way of saying that the AI EQ is rather limited (again for EB). I'm not sure the power upgrade will make that much difference for EB.... I don't really have any issue with volume with the Focus, or even low end... it's more of a 'punch' and quality of sound thing. To be fair, the AI line is really meant for 'acoustic' instruments. My Rob Allen MB2 sounds fantastic through the Focus... better (i.e., more natural, warm and woody) than through any other amp I've tried.
  16. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

that might have been true w/ the earlier incarnations of the Clarus head, but with 800 watts blasting out of your speakers, i think the AI boyz are getting into some major "electric" territory. ;)

with that mind, i think they're doing a great job. the EQ is only as limited as the DB750's EQ, and IMHO, sounds nice to these ears. also, the notch filter is quite handy for dialing out boomy frequencies, which is something i wish most if not all amps would have. sure, the bottom end is a bit "soft" feeling, and doesnt sounds as aggressive or as punchie as most "rock" voiced amps, it still does a great job with the electric side.

all in all, my Focus is a great piece of gear, and cant wait for the "Series III" to hit the shelves for me to try. :cool:
  17. +1.... I don't think the increase in wattage will make that big of a difference, since they are keeping the preamp pretty much intact... but who knows. And... to your point, for some EB sound preferences (warm, full, mellow) the Focus is amazing.... I use it as both my practice/rehearsal space amp and also use it on 'jazz' gigs.... that 'soft' etc. character of the amp really helps the EB sound texture in a more traditional jazz setting. However, too many negatives for relatively loud pop/funk playing for me... that softness and slight lack of punch that you mention (and that I also hear) is a deal killer for me... although it has plenty of volume. If I need to take an extra outboard EQ, etc. to make it sound like I want... I'd rather take a slightly larger amp like the TF or Eden or WW and get it all in one piece :)
  18. Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    +1 to all that. If you're doing jazz gigs on electric (which encompasses pretty much all of my electric playing) the Focus is voiced great for such a purpose.