1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Acoustic Image Ten2 + Clarus 2R series 3 amp

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Tibrogargan, May 10, 2019.

1. Tibrogargan

Tibrogargan

Feb 16, 2010
    Hi, I have an Acoustic Image Ten2 with the Clarus 2R series 3 head. It is the older Clarus 2 with what look like mounting ears on the front plate. I bought the set up second hand a few years ago. Does anyone know if it is possible to remove the head from the speaker case, and if so, how? It is the older model without the finger screws at the back.
    I am having issues with the sound from the speakers... some intermittent distortion and cabinet rattles on certain low notes. I really want to love this amp as I know they are amazing for DB and I finally have a bass that sounds beautiful unplugged. I know it is an older amp but it is in pretty good condition.
    I have included a couple of photos to show the design.
    Any info much appreciated.
    DSC_0025.JPG DSC_0019.JPG

2. Pat Harris

Pat Harris Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I'm not the end-all authority, but when I bought my Ten2 a decade ago, brand new, it had the screws in the back, and was super easy to get in/out.

This looks like somebody had the old AI head, purchased a Ten2 extension cab, and married the two together. The leather (pleather?) cover wouldn't fit snugly over the whole combo with those ears on the sides of the amp itself. If it doesn't freely slid in and out, I'm wondering if there's some adhesive connecting the amp to the cab itself?

3. Tibrogargan

Tibrogargan

Feb 16, 2010
    Hi Pat, thanks for your reply. I agree it doesn't look like an original setup... I can't find anything like it on line, and it's not very attractive with the rack mount ears! I was kind of hoping to take the amp out and try it with some other speakers. I will check it out from the Ten2 EX angle.

4. Tibrogargan

Tibrogargan

Feb 16, 2010
    Quick update... I took the speakers out and found 2 bolts and 2 screws inside holding the head cover on. Took it all apart and now it seems to sound okay. I am interested to hear the amp through some other speakers.

5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    What's missing is the "Cabriolet" conversion for the Clarus head (AI no longer has the parts needed for this mod) and apparently the docking section from the cab was removed...all series 4 amps have the docking feature.

If you contact AI they can tell you whether or not the docking part of the cab can be replaced, but you'd have to swap out that Clarus for a dockable AI head.

I was going to guess it was loose screws...that's always the first thing I look for when I hear farts and rattles. Glad you got that fixed.

6. Michael Eisenman

Michael Eisenman Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Eugene, Oregon
    I have a Focus 2R Series III, and someone was selling a Ten2 cab but was keeping the head. At the time Rick Jones told me that my head couldn’t be updated to the convertible version. Apparently someone figured out a way to stuff one in there.

7. Tibrogargan

Tibrogargan

Feb 16, 2010
    Hi Pat, Brian and Michael, thanks for your comments. I finally dared to take the amp apart and realised it was indeed a bodge job. The good news is all the parts work much better apart than together. The rattles and buzzes stopped when I stuffed the 4 bolt holes that attach the head cover to the Ten2 cab with acoustic foam (my own bodge job for now.) The Ten2 needs to be totally sealed. I did a small theatre gig last night and after the first song I asked the engineer to take me out of the monitors as the sound from the amp was so much better. So I'm finding the love for this amp and can hear why people rate them so highly. Attached a pic...
    Thanks for your replies, Christian.

Attached Files:

Pat Harris likes this.
  8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 22, 2021