1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Acoustic Image Ten2 issue

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by levonrocks, Apr 8, 2017.

1. levonrocks

levonrocks

Nov 21, 2012
    Easton, PA
    I have been having an intermittent issue with my Acoustic Image Ten2. On some nights the notes will get distorted and the sound will lose its clarity and the volume decreases. This problem will happen and then it will go away. Other times it won't go away.

Other nights I don't have any issues at all. It works perfectly every time I try to diagnose what is wrong with it, and then I go to a gig and I have the issue. Has anybody else had this happen?

Any ideas?

2. Time to cleanup the pots and switches on the front panel, methinks.
    Use a good quality contact cleaner, and don't spray too much.

Ric Vice, mfh and MDrost1 like this.
  3. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Call Rick at Acoustic Image. One of the smartest, nicest guys around. He's helped me over the phone numerous times.

4. Michael Eisenman

Michael Eisenman Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Eugene, Oregon
    This is what Rick sent me:

Attached Files:

5. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    I have this issue also. Mine is a series three. What series is yours?

6. B String

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Rick's big on the Deoxit. I can't argue though. Its really good stuff.

Ric Vice and mfh like this.
  7. Something intermittent like that sounds more like a wiring issue. Have a qualified service tech look at all solder connections. Probably a $100 job, at most.

8. As an electrical engineer I am required to swear an oath to blame mechanical engineers for everything, meaning: the first law of troubleshooting intermittent issues with an electronic device is to be suspicious of any moving parts. :)

The next time it goes wonky on you wiggle the gain and tone knobs and see if you can get a change in the symptoms. If so, the gentle use of DeOxit on all pots is a winner 80% of the time.

And, good preventative maintenance every few years as well.

9. B String

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Acoustic Image offers free repairs for the life of the amp in most cases. Best warranty in the biz.

10. mfh

mfh

Mar 30, 2008
    Clean it like Rick said. I've had the same issues with my series III. Once it's cleaned out, it's good to go!

Ric Vice likes this.
  11. stevegranger

stevegranger

Feb 9, 2007
    You could also try cleaning the send/receive jacks for the effects loop, if your unit has that equipped. I had a similar issue with an old Marshall Valvestate guitar amp: amp output would decrease greatly and often get all static-y too, or it would just cut out completely. Turns out the send/receive jacks can get dirty and not make good contact, even though I never used the effects loop. An amp tech cleaned them out, no more problem.
    -Steve

Mark Gollihur and Ric Vice like this.
  12. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    Does this happen on the gig in the same room or in different rooms with different settings? Some of the early cabinets had the speakers dangerously close to each other on the inside; when EQ'd slightly different and pushed, the speaker magnets would crash into each other and make horrendous noises. I got reprimanded and sent home from a gig during a set break because of this with an order of, "Get another cab immediately or don't come back...". ( I went home and grabbed my trusty set of ACME B1s and all was well). A thin spacer that moved the speakers 1/8" further out from the cabinet corrected the problem later.

Overall my take on the Ten2 is that it is a delicate cabinet in a very compact package for low and medium volume use, not a versatile workhorse that you can pound on every night but takes up a small footprint. I liked the voice and portability a lot, but getting sent home on the second date was a deal breaker for me. On a side note, last week I had someone at the gig come up to me and kept asking why his Coda didn't sound like a pair of B1s with the same head.....

13. B String

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I go back to the old Robert Klein comic routine where he can't understand the difference between the Volkswagon and the Mercedes. "They both have 4 tires, a steering wheel, 4 doors, an engine, etc etc..."

james condino likes this.
  14. If it works fine at home but ot on a gig it could be a volume/protection issue. The ICEpower module has a number of limiting/protection features which will kick in if pushed too hard.

15. naonatu

naonatu

Jul 10, 2017
    ATL
    what you're describing is typical thermal protection built into many class D amps. as the temperature increases, output power is reduced. if the temperature continues to rise, it will eventually reach the point where the amp shuts down (with an ugly pop!). once it cools sufficiently, normal operation can resume.
    i have a series III ten2 and know first hand what you're experiencing.
    when gigging, i shut the amp off during breaks. i've also resorted to removing the head from the cabinet, since it offers no ventilation whatsoever. i'm trying to figure out if i can make vent holes in the recessed areas above the handles of the speaker cabinet. even when sitting idle, after a few hours my amp will heat up enough to cause thermal shutdown. as far as i know, cooling is the solution.

Ric Vice and james condino like this.
  16. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    That is a good point. My AI head is a pretty reliable workhorse and has held up great for several hundred gigs, but I had an outside in the July Dixie sunshine summer rockin' loud gig a couple of years ago and the black exterior got REALLY hot and the thermal coupling shut it down. I powered it off, took a set break and moved it out of the sun and it has worked great every since. Sure, the tiny little pocket rocket amps look cute and fit in your girlfriend's handbag on the Tokyo subway trains, but I'd be excited if he made one slightly larger with a cooling fan- morph the AI head with a Thunderfunk!

Rick at AI runs probably the best warranty shop in the business- find a slow week, ship it to him on Monday overnight or two day and he will usually get it back in your hands in time for your Friday gig- a priceless example of long term business integrity in this disposable culture!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
    Inga51, Pat Harris, B String and 3 others like this.
  17. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    just wanted to update this. my issue was a dirty switch... fixed

Ric Vice likes this.
  18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 16, 2021