1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Acoustic Image Ten2: Series III compared to IV compared to Flex

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Steve Freides, Mar 25, 2016.

1. Steve Freides

Steve Freides Former Mannes College Theory Faculty Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Ridgewood, NJ
    I could swear I read a thread on this but I can't seem to find it.

I have an AI Ten2, Series III and am happy with it. I'm wondering what people who are familiar with this and also the Series IV think of the two in comparison to each other, and also in comparison to the most recent offering, the Flex.

I'm considering an upgrade, basically just because I know I like AI gear, but it would be nice to know if the sound is appreciably different - the feature sets upgrades would be nice but wouldn't be reason enough alone for me to upgrade.

Thanks much.

-S-

2. BobKay

BobKay Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2012
    Estero, Florida; USA
    Don't forget to ask about the Series IV+, which it is slightly different from my Series IV Coda. IV+ adds one more eq band, and lighted buttons, I think.
    My only contribution to your question is that I bought the Flex to use just as a preamp to my Series IV Coda, mostly to give me "mic stand access" to tone and volume. Turned out I couldn't hear enough quality difference in the sound (quite possibly due to my ears), and decided it was too expensive to use just for volume control. So, I returned it and now use a less expensive solution. No experience with Series III.

Steve Freides likes this.
  3. Steve Freides

Steve Freides Former Mannes College Theory Faculty Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Ridgewood, NJ
    The Flex is Series IV+, no?

Thx.

-S-

4. Tom Lane

Tom Lane Gold Supporting Member

5. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    Yes. The Flex was designed from the ground up using the new preamp design, with the improved noise specs, new effects unit, and 4-band EQ.

They released the Flex, and then, as they sold out of the model 4 amps, rolled the new preamp design into the existing Series 4 amp architecture going forward, hence the Series 4+ (rather than calling it Series 5).

TL;DR: Anything with the 4 band EQ is Series 4+.

6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Waiting for Series IV+ mkII ;)

Still rocking my Series III...

Steve Freides and Mark Gollihur like this.
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 12, 2021