Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acoustic Image vs Eden WT 550

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Steve S, Nov 4, 2005.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I currently play through the WT 550 into a Schroeder 1212 or 410. I'm interested in the new Acoustic amps because of the increased wattage. I've never heard an Acoustic amp so I'd like some help from those who've played through both of these amps. How do they sound compared to each other?

2. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    I've played through both the Eden 550 and the AI Focus and Clarus amps, but I've only played the AI's in a store enviornment so keep my comments in context.

I think that the Eden has a more versatile tone...it can sound very clear and hi-fi, or it can sound warm and round. The Eden also seems louder and more punchy...there just sounds like there's more depth to the sound from the 550. The AI did sound good though, it has a nice clear sound and you can't beat the size/weight of it...I just prefer the Eden as an all-around head.

3. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Just a heads up - Acoustic and Acoustic Image are two different companies, although a lot of younger players may not have heard of Acoustic. ;)

I haven't played through an Eden, but I have both a Contra and a Focus and have been very happy with them.

The first time I tried an Acoustic Image was in a bass store and was able to turn it up, so no surprise it sounded good.

Anyway, when I got the Contra, by the time we got home it was really late but we still wanted to practice a bit and even at quiet conversation levels it had a punchiness that surprised me.

I love Acoustic Image and am also interested in the new higher power models. :hyper:

Wish they'd hurry up and get here... :scowl:

4. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I looked at the Focus hard before I ended up with Eden WT550. I think the AI stuff is great for upright and nice for jazz type gigs where the ultimate goal is clarity and definition. But to me they lack the low end punch and warmth of the Eden stuff, in a traditional R & B type gig or Blues thing I just think the Eden's a better choice. If you want more power I would go with an Eden 800B or WT1205 before I would go with the AI stuff.

5. bassjam

bassjam

Aug 2, 2004
    dfw
    Lakland Basses,Genz Benz
    i went the opposite direction as burk.i had an eden550 when i bought a focus.while i liked the eden i prefered the focus.out of the box i liked the eden but i a/b'd them live several times and the focus just seemed to cut through better to me and really set well in the mix.the eden sounded good but at times i had a harder time hearing myself.i sold the eden.keep in mind that the ai stuff wasnt originally designed to be bass specific and is supposed to be as transparant as possible so what you put in is pretty much what you get out amplified.for that reason i can see why alot of people associate the focus with jazz type gigs.but im doing a rock/funk/r&b gig using skjold basses with great sounding onboard preamps and and i dont really want a head or another preamp that colors the tone any more.i like what is comming out of my basses.im sure it also makes a difference as to what speaker system you are using.our soundman also prefered the di send from the focus.

so personally i dont think its as simple as to which one is better-rather which one is better suited for you.there are several variables to consider.

6. richnota

richnota Gold Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    hudson valley
    Agree with Bassjam...they are very different beasts. The AI is remarkably uncolored and sounds amazing with Turner and Rob Allen piezo equipped basses. The Eden adds much more color and warmth to your sound.

I ended up running an AI with a Bergantino and a Mesa Walkabout Scout with a switcher.

WHY DECIDE? GET BOTH! ;)

7. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    Yea....I'll probably do that and see how they sound when playing with a band. I like the Eden but sometimes find myself running out of headroom. Thanks for all of your inputs....I appreciate it.