1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Acoustic Line being phased out?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gfogarty, Aug 11, 2012.

1. gfogarty

gfogarty

Feb 12, 2010
    Is the Acoustic line of amps being phased out? There are almost none left on Musicians Friend, and they have _deep_ discounts at GC.

G

2. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    I haven't heard anything about GC pulling the plug on the brand. There was plenty of Acoustic brand gear in stock at the local GC where
    I live, the last time I was there about a month ago.

3. 5port

5port

Oct 14, 2009
    LI,new yawk
    Bass amp line is going away.

Guitar amp line will carry on.

4. Makes one wonder what the bass amp lines at GC will look like, in another year. Maybe they'll add Genz!

5. hachi kid

hachi kid

Jun 2, 2008
    Pelham, AL
    the Acoustic bass amps will be gone, but the guitar amps are staying.......that's retarded........

6. 5port

5port

Oct 14, 2009
    LI,new yawk
    Not really retarded...

I'm with you brother..I'm a bassplayer and never want to see any company drop their bass amp line BUT...Acoustic made a mistake going with MDF. They could have raised the prices a bit and gone with plywood...this would have increased their sales.

Having said that I bought a B115 and modified it to my liking (changed the speaker, ported it, etc). It rarely leaves the house for gigs though cause it heavy. I always default to my two Neo cabs for gigs. See...mistake.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I talked to a couple folks at my local GC, and they said the Acoustic bass stuff they make just plain doesn't sell.

8. seems to me they could have made it a little better, and kept some of the old acoustic legacy. it's just a cheapo amp with an acoustic badge. doesn't sound awful, but it could have been much better.

9. jmbjandfam

jmbjandfam Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2011
    Foxfire Village N.C.
    ^ This

I bought a head and 2 410's on the deep discounts at GC and leave them at our practice space.

10. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Exactly. I think this is a case of bass gear Darwinism. The products just weren't noteworthy enough to survive.

11. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    House brand are the bane of Musical gear manufacturers
    Why is this line of music stores competing with the manufactures they sell?
    Sell multiple brands that compete with each other, but don't throw you own in there for the confused consumer that you never inform it's a house brand.

12. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    That's the bottom line, for those of us who grew up on the real deal.

13. Personally, I totally understand why they didnt catch on

14. NOVAX

NOVAX

Feb 7, 2009
    Kalifornia
    Regardless, the B-20 is a great bedroom amp and for $55 I love mine.

15. Worldeeeter

Worldeeeter Banned

Mar 29, 2010
    Asheville, NC
    Nice thought, but another cheap line will replace it. Kinda like those low-end Fender and/or Line 6 amps at Sam Ass, or the $300 Ibanez basses at any retailer. They need a low-cost line to drive sales to beginners, teenagers, etc.

16. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    We did one practice at a GC rehearsal studio place that supplied backline. Of course, it was the Acoustic. I came away thinking the B600 was actually a decent sounding amp, plenty of power, bit of a classic tone, good thump, etc. The 810 cab was boom city, one-note wonder. The amp sounded pretty decent through other cabs.

17. i (begrudgingly) sold my gb 12.0 to gc and had to show the sales guy how to work it......facepalm. i am minus a wife and plus a gbe 600 now, good things come to those who wait.......

18. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Won't happen. GC's got Markbass exclusively, Genz would cut into their sales. They probably have another cheapo house brand waiting in the wings.

19. 4StringShooter

4StringShooter Banned

Jun 26, 2011
    London, Ontario, Canada
    GBX Member #1
    I hope I can secure a B600 by the time I wind up the cash for it !!!!

20. +1

I saw a 810 Acoustic cab at GC 2 or 3 years ago for $200.00 The reason? The casters had completely penetrated the MDF and left 2 gaping holes in the cab.

Just my opinion, but NO bass cab should EVER be built out of MDF........:scowl: