Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acoustic looking, but adjustable bridge

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by wyliee, Dec 8, 2004.

1. wyliee

wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    Is there such a thing? I've been toying with the idea of having a fretless made. I thought it might be interesting to have a bridge similar to an acoustic guitar, but with the bridge saddles being adjustable. Bonus would be to have piezo saddles.

I'm sure someone could build a bridge from scratch and use piezo saddles, but is there such a thing in production?

Thanks.

2. Why not go for something like a tune-o-matic bridge? I've also seen bridges offered on ebay that were similar (think they were for Hofner basses) that were made of ebony.

As far as the piezo thing. The ebony bridge mounts to the top of the guitar much like an accoustic. The piezo could be mounted inside under the bridge.

3. wyliee

wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    That's along the lines of what I was looking for. Though I would be interested in seeing what could be done to make it through body stringing.

4. Do a search for Carl Hoyt. His basses utilize a flat "acoustic" style bridge like you've described and he's a master builder. Beautiful basses.

My latest build is a chambered design without a "bridge" altogether. It's got individual ebony saddle blocks that slide in slots routed in the top of the body. The strings pass over the saddles and hook into the back of the body just over where the rear strap knob would be.

's gonna be ubercool!

5. Cool! I've actually modified my wishbass like that. I didn't like the corian saddle, so I bought an indi bridge system $15 bones on the net. And I just have the saddle blocks sliding loose right now (i'm not using the chrome channels), but I have enough extra clearance to rout 3mm deep slots for slides...(that'll get my action where I want it as well).

Be sure to show pics of this project when you're finished, Hambone.

6. wyliee

wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    Is the bass finished? I'd love to see a pic. Sounds kind of like a Villette bass the way the strings anchor. Do you think the wood saddles will last over the years?

7. Gosh I hope they last, they're ebony! I'm not foolish enough to just lay the string directly on the wood though. I've come up with a neat little way to have a height adjustable metal (brass etc.) saddle surface right on the ebony.